Trees and Rivers

Começar do início

I remember what she told me yesterday and then I look at the map.

"This map is wrong," I say seriously, "I can tell where the trees and where the meadow are. We are supposed to be by the trees so why are we going to the meadow in the opposite direction." "Why would they give us a faulty map?" King Cosmos asks seriously. "All of this is a game," I say seriously, "a test for me and my intelligence as well as to see if I should be the rightful ruler or not as well as some weird traditions I am sure." Prince Radley laughs, "Let's just listen since we have no clue about this stuff." "Well if you did not want to follow," I say honestly, "you could just take the map and find your way. It looks like you will be at Sarcoline a few days before us." Prince Radley bursts out laughing and I jump at his response.

I then lead the way and realize we are the only ones there as well as the Duke and Duchess.

They smile at us.

"I see Princess Anthurium has helped you get here safely," Duchess Lotus says kindly, "since you guys are here, you can help by harvesting some fruits from the trees and once the others come, if they ever do, they will help you. Tomorrow, we will distribute some to the poor. The one who gets the majority, that portion, will go to the poor." I smile and get started.

Prince Radley follows me around with the ladder as we both work together.

"You know this is an individual competition right?" I say with a smile. He nods, "But I have nothing to lose, except my pride." I laugh, "Is that not important to you?" "No," he says seriously, "not more important than losing a birthright." I smile at his kindness, "Thanks."

We get to work and we leave baskets at the Duke's feet as they calculate the food we bring in. Others never come and some come later on, but we win by a landslide.

"Princess Anthurium and Prince Radley worked together to give more to the poor," Duchess Lotus says, "so they will have the honor of giving it the commoners tomorrow and then the rest of their day is free."

The day slowly comes to a close and everyone goes to dinner as no one had lunch.

I sit nearby my father but my mind is somewhere else as the memories of Kyle come back and the preparations for meeting men's needs just rushes back. Tears fill my eyes and my father seems to notice.

"Anthurium," he says and I turn to look at him with pain in my eyes, "you are excused." I nod and get up quickly as I rush to my room then I break down.

As soon as the noise dies downstairs and my sobs quiet, I make my way downstairs in the dark to get food from the kitchen.

"Oh," I hear Prince Radley say as I enter, "are you okay?" I shake my head, "I just want to eat right now." He smiles, "Me too." A sandwich is sitting in front of him and a brownie with ice cream.

"You want?" He asks and I nod. "I can just make it myself," I say seriously but then a maid comes out. "No way," she says seriously, "you are not burning my kitchen." "You would be surprised," I say kindly, "I know how to cook. How about you let me cook for the both of us and you can supervise?" She scrutinizes me but accepts the challenge.

I make a garlic flavored steak with mash potatoes and asparagus.

I place it for all three of us and they both eat first before I can try it.

"Your Highness," she says kindly, "if you were not a princess you would do great here." I smile, "Thanks that is the benefit of growing up somewhere else and needing to learn everything yourself." Prince Radley looks at me sadly and once we are done eating he looks at me, "Tell me what is going on with you."

"My past is coming back to haunt me so that I fail miserably at gaining my birthright apparently," I say seriously as pain fills my face, "you know that my father and mother would die inside if they knew. You would not look at me with the respect that you have now and my siblings would just have more reasons not to talk to me."