Basics

At breakfast, the following day, everyone is sitting in their usual positions.

"Father," Magnolia calls and he looks at her, "can our cousins please come and visit?" My father continues to chew, looks at me, my mother, my brother and then pauses. "Cedric and Gula?" he asks patiently. She nods, "And the babies, please?" "Not for any meals but for your own free time," my father says kindly, "your sister needs to do her classes as do you guys before they can come, understood?" Everyone nods and mother smiles.

After breakfast, a teacher comes to my room as well as my siblings. Kris is nowhere to be found so as soon as the teacher arrives, I call my guards.

"Yes, Your Highness," both of them say. "I want Kris," I say seriously and they look at each other but do as I say.

"Okay, Your Highness. Let us start with writing," the teacher says but then Kris barges in. "What happened?" he asks and he looks pale. "Oh," I say as I see his fear, "I just wanted you here but are you okay?" He breathes heavily, "Yeah just a bad dream." I nod and sigh, "It is okay. Go have the day off." He shakes his head but I do not allow him to do that instead I make one of the guards watch him while the other one stays near me.

"We will discuss how to write books, poems etc.," she says kindly as she sees that I am distracted. I nod and try to focus.

After going through, all my basics and some details in them it is lunchtime.

"I need you to have a project from each of these basics and you can choose whatever you wish," she says seriously and then leaves. My brain collapses and I fall asleep for a few minutes but someone opens my door.

"Your Highness," one of the guards says seriously, "everyone is waiting for you." I nod and try to look presentable then I make my way downstairs.

Everyone is outside already waiting for their cousins.

"I am sorry father," I say as I sit down nearby and my mother watches on from her seat. He shakes his head, "Did you finish your studies?" I nod, "Yes, I completed everything. I have to start working on some projects for each of them from today and they are due at the end of the year." He nods, "Well, you better get started then." I tense at his tone but sense that he wants me to leave, "Yes father."

Once upstairs, my tears fall because I feel confused and unloved but have no clue what to do. I start picking projects for each basic. In writing, I choose poems. In language, I choose English since I am already struggling with it. In food, I choose baking. In history, I choose geography. In basic, I choose nanny. In science, I choose physics related to whatever I can figure out. In art, I want to choose drawing but I am already good at it so I choose photography.

I sigh deeply as I watch the sunset as I narrow down my topics slowly but surely.

Soon, I watch as young men and women make their way into the gardens with three little ones running about and a baby in one woman's arms.

I recognize one from the funeral as Cedric, his green eyes sparkle and his black curly hair rustles in the wind. Then I notice Gula, from the funeral, her long straight black hair flows and her brown eyes are dark as well as cold. A man hugs her tightly so I assume that is her husband. His hair matches hers but his grey eyes hold happiness that she lacks. I assume it is due to Delilah or Lavender's loss.

The young woman holding the baby has two children hiding behind her leg and the other one is holding Cedric's hand. I smile as I watch them until I hear someone clearing their throat behind me.

"Anthurium," I hear my father say with disapproval and I sigh. "Yes father," I say as I turn around. "I brought you food," he says kindly and the tension in me calms. I take it and he looks at me with wonder. "Do you fear me?" he asks and I remain silent as I continue eating. He sighs and nods, "Look, I just want the best for you and this kingdom. How about a secret between the two of us?" I lift up my head and look at him with a questioning look. "My secret," he says quickly and I calm down, "I loved you since the day you were born because you look exactly like my mother and I know that sounds weird but it is the truth. That love motivated me to do something stupid." I move closer and he smiles, "I checked your future scores before you even got them." My eyes widen.

"What does that mean?" I ask out of curiosity. "It means," he says kindly, "I used my power to find out who my most intelligent child would be and it is you, Anthurium." "Oh," I say with confusion, "so, I am the future heir and that is why you are pushing me so hard?" He nods, "It might not make sense to you but there is more to the story." I nod, "There always is. Anyways, I should get back to my projects." He nods in understanding, "And just know that if there ever is anything you want to tell me about the past, I am ready whenever you are." "I do not know how you would react," I say honestly, "it is not the greatest story." He nods and gets up to leave but then says, "Your coronation will be tomorrow so expect cameras and questions. I sigh as he leaves.

Fear fills me, then is that why someone stole me so that someone else can be the heir and what made him so desperate to know who his heir would be?

Kris has not been here the entire day but then I notice him outside with everyone else. Sadness fills me as I watch him interact with Magnolia and Aster as well as the little ones.

I force myself to look away as I continue working on my projects with more conviction.

The next day, I am awakened early in the morning. I am dressed in a very puffy royal purple dress with a long train behind me of a similar color but darker. I look in the mirror with fear in my heart as I know what is to come. I will be represented to the world, today, as someone they should trust when I cannot even control myself. Kris notices my train of thought.

He shakes his head, "No one knows what you do not show, Your Highness." I nod, "I know but I cannot be a role model when...." He nods, "You can." I smile half-heartedly as I look at him, "Thanks."

"Kris," a lady says kindly, "you have to be sitting already alongside the rest of the family. Your Highness, your parents will be waiting for you at the end of the aisle." I nod as my hands become sweaty.

Kris leaves but my guards escort me to the throne room. As soon as I arrive, I see thousands of people waiting outside as I look outside and hundreds are inside watching me as I walk towards my parents at the end of the aisle.

My father and mother place a crown on my head and then escort me upstairs to the terrace.

"Her Highness, Princess Anthurium of Tesha!" a man announces and everyone applauds loudly. I shiver in fear as I see the expectations rising and I gulp as my parents watch me with pride.

Then I am escorted inside to be greeted by everyone.

I see many new faces and they all bow to show their respect and acceptance of my possible rule.

"Duke and Duchess of Azure!" a man announces. They bow and then move along. "Duchess Gula and Lord Rome," he announces and they bow, leaving soon after. "Duke and Duchess of Amaranth," the man announces again and they bow, then leave. "Duke and Duchess of Ponceau," the man announces. I tense as I see him and he smirks at me but I stand my ground. He still has to swallow his pride and bow.

"Duke Apollo and Lord Helios," he announces and they come forward, bow and then leave.

"Father," I call as everyone has finished greeting me, "where are Cedric's children?" "They are not of age yet," her father says kindly, "only at thirteen can they join such events." I nod and find Kris waiting for me nearby.

"Your Highness," Kris says and bows. I smile at him but am interrupted.

"Princess Anthurium," I turn around to find Duke Apollo. "Yes, Your Grace," I say with annoyance. He smiles smugly, "It will be nice to be working with you once my father is no longer around." "I would not wish for my father's death if I were you," I say seriously, "many people would just blame it on you when he dies." I then walk away with Kris trailing behind as he tries not to giggle.

My father smiles at me as he watches me interact with different people.

As the night comes, I head to my room as all the guests leave so I can work on my projects some more.

I notice that everything is silent so I make my way out of my room into the gardens outside. I sit and enjoy the silence until I hear something moving in the shadows.

Fear courses through my veins as the shadow draws closer.