Family

As soon as I arrive at the table, the Queen and King come together, They see the mix of emotions on my face and smile at each other as it clearly was a test to see my intelligence.

I avoid their gaze as my emotions overwhelm me.

"Everyone may sit!" a man shouts as everyone sits down, "The Duke and Duchess of Azure, Your Majesties." "It is an honour to be here Your Majesties. I am sorry that my children and their families were unable to be here this evening," Duke Wolf says honestly. "It is of no concern," the King says kindly, "it is understandable when I did not invite them to this lunch." "Oh," Duke Wolf says nervously, "I am sorry for implying." The King waves his hand, dismissing it.

I shift uncomfortably as the King turns his attention to me. My short black hair barely hides my face.

My family is on the far side of the table. I look at them and everyone notices.

The King sits at the head of the table with the Queen to his right, me to his left, his son to the Queen's right and his daughter to my left.

A piece of bread with some weird balls is placed in front of me.

"Caviar and buttered bread!" a man announces and everyone digs in.

"So?" the King says and turns to me, "I am King Peony and you are?" "Lavender," I say nervously.

He eats his bread and I try to do the same but it tastes weird. In any case, I swallow. He smiles at me.

The Duchess looks at me and says, "You and Lavender were together, I remember you." I nod and say, "Yes, she was like a sister to me." Tears fill her eyes and her husband pats her back so tears start to fill mine too. I wipe mine away hurriedly.

The meal goes by quickly.

The King stands, holds his hand out to the Queen and whispers in her ear then he holds out his hand to me so I take it.

He looks towards his kids and they nod.

Once in a room, he sits down while I stand alongside the Queen and his children.

"I know you have figured it out," King Peony says as he looks at me, "so?" "I understand that I am a princess," I say nervously. His children laugh and he clears his throat.

"Correct," he says kindly. His children start whispering in the background.

"Silence!" he shouts and they go silent, "now that Anthurium is back, Aster must wait for his title to be confirmed as he was supposed to be the heir." Aster sighs and Magnolia looks at me with annoyance.

"Magnolia," King Peony says and she looks at him, "should you not be happy your twin sister is back? I remember you crying about it." She nods. "So then?" he says seriously, "and Aster, would you not hate it if someone took your rightful place?" He nods. "You will do your courses at an increased speed so that by the time you are eighteen, you can be ready for the possibility of being enthroned. Understood?" King Peony says seriously and I freeze.

"I don't think..." I say but the Queen stops me and shakes her head, "yes." King Peony leaves as well as everyone else.

Queen Rose looks at me with love in her eyes and she holds my face in her hands as tears fall from her eyes.

"I...," she says as sobs fill her body, "I thought they would kill you." I look at her with confusion, "What do you mean?" She shakes her head, "Nevermind. I am just glad you are alive."

I do not get time to continue with my train of thought when I see two guards standing by my side.

"I want to go to Kris," I demand. "Yes, Your Highness," they reply begrudgingly.