17.

"Seriously, you wanna go in there? This place is creepy AF," Enid says as we reach the gate from Wednesday and Xavier's drawings

"Seriously, you wanna go in there? This place is creepy AF," Enid says as we reach the gate from Wednesday and Xavier's drawings. It's chained up, which unsettles my nerves even more.

"I know," Wednesday sounds pleased.

"Okay. This isn't what I signed on for," Tyler says and I nod in agreement. It's dark and creepy and most definitely haunted.

"Ditto," Enid says.

"I didn't want to celebrate my birthday by going to dinner or a surprise party. I want to do this," Wednesday says, pulling the chain off the gate.

"Then you should've just said so. You didn't have to trick us," I tell the gothic girl.

"If you want to go, you can. I'm going to go check out the garage," Wednesday opens the gate. Its hinges creak open making an awful noise. After a shared look with Enid, we both step forward and follow Wednesday into the abandoned house's front yard.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Wednesday tugs on the Gate's manor door and it rattles from her struggle, but doesn't open.

"Let me try," Tyler says before tugging heavily on the door. It doesn't budge, "This is pointless."

"Can I try?" Enid asks. Tyler moves out of the way and with a few swift tugs, Enid's got the door open.

"Whoa," Tyler gasps. I smile at Enid's brilliance.

"Werewolf thing," she tells the normie. We all walk inside after the gothic girl.

We walk into the garage and Wednesday pulls down a light switch. A flickering yellow light goes on and off repeatedly as Wednesday uncovers a car.

"This is what hit the mayor," Wednesday says, shining her torch on the blue Cadillac.

"Okay. This just took a dark turn. We need to call Tyler's dad right freaking now," Enid yells nervously.

"Why? So, he can take me back to Nevermore and get me expelled? It's not gonna happen," Wednesday says.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"This is the night I'm gonna die," Tyler says as we walk into what seems to be an at home library. Enid whimpers quietly.

"Here they are. The Gates family. They scrub up well for psychopaths," Wednesday shines a torch on a family painting, "There's Garrett, his outcast-hating father, Ansel, and you must be Laurel. They're all long gone."

Whatever Wednesday says next is too quiet for me to make out. Instead, I walk around the room, searching for clues so we can leave faster.

"Seen enough?" Tyler asks. Wednesday ignores the boy and her hand hovers over a dusty library shelf. The gothic girl presses a built-in button and gears click and whir. Some type of machinery is creaking as the shelves slide open.