9.

I open the door to Wednesday and Enid's room

I open the door to Wednesday and Enid's room. The two girls are looking at a big board full of pictures and string.

"When I suggested giving your side of the room a makeover, I did not have Ted Bundy's Pinterest in mind," Enid pulls a disgusted face.

"Still not as creepy as your stuffed unicorn collection," Wednesday says, still looking at her board.

"Is this why you snuck out last night?" Enid asks.

"Thing and I made an unsanctioned trip to the morgue to copy the files of the monster's victims."

"Okay, there are so many levels of ew in that statement, I don't know where to begin."

"Hey guys, what are you looking at?" I ask.

"Alice Carrow!" Enid comes up to me with a stern look on her face. I panic slightly, what did I do? Enid looks like a concerned mother.

"Why did I have to hear from Ajax that you were walking out of Xavier's dorm yesterday morning?" she starts off serious but starts squealing with excitement the more she talks.

"Okay, okay we're friends again," I smile.

Enid raises an eyebrow, "from what Ajax told me it seemed like you two were a little more than friends," the girl smirks.

"That better not be on your blog!" I say worriedly, "I just got stuck in his dorm because the House Master was camped out," I say defensively.

"Sure..." Enid teases.

"I need to get inside its head. Discover any patterns or anomalies," Wednesday mumbles to herself. I look over to her board and see a range of decapitated body parts.

I grimace, "found anything, yet?"

"I've already made a big discovery. Turns out all of the monster's victims have had body parts surgically removed. The first one a kidney, the second a finger..." Wednesday says. I notice Enid is pale and rocking back and forth.

"Wednesday, I don't feel..." she looks queasy.

"Third a gall bladder. And the bearded man from the meeting house, two toes. Do you understand what this means? These murders aren't mindless."

Enid falls and I react quickly, catching her in my arms.

"He's collecting trophies like a seasoned serial killer. It's impressive, actually," Wednesday finishes. She turns around and sees Enid in my arms. "Thing, fetch the smelling salts. Again."

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Back in herbology class, I sit next to Xavier.

"While most plants reward their pollinators with sweet nectar, many carnivorous varieties turn to sеxual trickery or deception," Thornhill states.

Xavier hisses a little and I turn to him. He's bled through his bandages.

"I'm alright," he assures me.

"I can change your bandages after class," I say, "I might need to take them off and just let the wound dry up." The boy nods.

"The orchid produces a pheromone that mimics a female insect, luring the males in. Now, once the plant is pollinated, what do the male insects get in exchange?"

"Nada. Just like all the guys at the Rave'N," Bianca smiles.

The class collectively laughs.

"Okay, okay. I know you're all excited about Saturday, which is why I haven't assigned any homework," scattered cheers erupt from the class, "But I do still need volunteers for the decorating committee. Anyone interested, come and see me up here."

"You're not gonna volunteer? Aren't you pumped about disco balls and spiked punch? There's even a DJ. MC Blood Suckaz," Xavier teases me.

"Woah, with a pitch like that, how could I not?" I laugh. Xavier smiles at me. "I'd rather go see your art studio like we planned," I say more seriously.

"Sure, let's go now." We both pack up our books and head into the forest.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Birds warble in the distance and I look up into the trees. It's been a while since the last time I've gone to my happy place.

"Wednesday?" Xavier questions. I turn my head forward and see the gothic girl standing near the padlocked door of Xavier's art studio.

"Xavier. Alice. Hello."

"What are you doing?" Xavier looks suspicious.

"Nothing. I just saw you come out this way. What is this place?" Wednesday says.

"It's kind of my private art studio. I cleared it out, fixed it up, so Weems let me use it."

"How very entrepreneurial. I would love to see inside. Why don't you give me a tour?" Wednesday insists.

"Not right now. It's a total mess." Art studios are typically messes, so I realize Xavier's really just covering because he doesn't want Wednesday to see his monster drawings. I don't blame him. Her investigation skills were very invasive and Wednesday always seems to jump to conclusions.

"I shadowed a crime scene photographer last summer. I'm not easily fazed."

"Maybe another time. Xavier was just about to give me," I pause briefly to think, "an art lesson."

"I thought you were already competent in art, why would you need a lesson?" Wednesday looks at me, suspiciously.

"Uh..." Okay she's got me there.

"Well, Wednesday I was actually going to ask Alice out to the Rave'n," Xavier says, wrapping his arm around me. I look at him, eyes wide and he looks back at me giving me a 'go with it' look.

The gothic girl looks from side to side at me and the boy, searching for clues. "I will make my leave then," Wednesday says. She's suspicious I can tell, but the girl walks off into the forest anyways. We watch her leave, walking off into the forest.

"The Rave'n, huh?" I say, giving Xavier a smirk, "are we actually going or was it just a cover?"

"Up to you," he says, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Okay then bigshot. I'd love to go with you," I smile.

He smiles back, "great, it's a date then."

Xavier grabs the key from his pocket and unlocks his art studio. I walk inside and instantly my mouth drops.

...............。o*★*o。...............

𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥'𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘

Wednesday is starting to get suspicious of Xavier...

-crimsonplanets

..............................