6.

At lunchtime, Xavier and I do what we planned

Xavier grabs his umbrella, and we walk into the woods. Rain crashes down around us. We weave our way through trees until we see a familiar blur of black walking through the forest. We approach the pig-tailed girl and I try and stay under the umbrella's cover as much as I can.

"What the hell are you doing?" Xavier asks Wednesday. The girl turns around and looks at both of us.

"I was following the monster," she replies.

"You saw it? It's here?" I ask, my eyes scanning the surrounding area.

"What are you two doing here?" Wednesday asks, monotone as always.

"We overheard you say you were checking out the old meeting house," I say.

"It's lucky we showed up when we did, too. If there really is a monster out here, you could have been in serious danger," Xavier adds.

Wednesday ignores us and continues to talk about her investigation, "I learnt one thing. The monster is human. Its tracks turned from monster prints to human ones."

"Show us," I say, and we follow Wednesday's gaze down to the floor. All I can see is mud mixed in with patches of grass. I try as hard as I can to see even a vague footprint, but it isn't happening. All that's here is sludge.

"The rain washed them all away," Wednesday says, eyes going from side to side as she peers at the mud. Xavier scoffs.

"I know what I saw," Wednesday death stares.

"I'm trying to keep an open mind," Xavier speaks back.

"How big of you," Wednesday turns around and starts walking again.

"I do think you might be right about Rowan," Xavier changes the topic. My ears perk up, I want to hear what he has to say about his roommate.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Wednesday asks the boy.

"I texted him again today. I said maybe we could meet over spring break and go snowboarding like we did last year. This time he texted right back, said he wouldn't be able to make it."

"Only you never went snowboarding last year," Wednesday deciphers.

"Part of me wanted to blame his recent weirdness. I didn't want to think something bad had happened," Xavier says. I instinctively go to hold his hand. When he feels my touch, the boy's hand wraps around mine; it feels warm and comforting.

"The cover-up is always worse than the crime," Wednesday states.

"Now I need you to be honest with me. Why'd you come out to the old meeting house in the first place?" Xavier interrogates the gothic girl.

"I was trying to learn more about Crackstone. Figure out how he's connected to this." Turns out I was right. Wednesday really was looking for clues about the illustration from the Nightshade book.