1.

Trying to calm my nerves, I lean on a near-by pillar and focus on my breathing

Trying to calm my nerves, I lean on a near-by pillar and focus on my breathing. It is my first day back on campus after one of the biggest disasters of my life and I feel like eyes are boring into my skull from every direction.

I take a deep breath in and a deep breath out. Only then do I realize that it was only my anxiety making me feel as if I were put on a spotlight. The sirens were gossiping amongst themselves at the fountain, as per usual, and the werewolves were... well, being werewolves. Everyone else seemed quite pre-occupied too, at least enough to not pay any attention to me, and for that I was thankful.

Across the campus, I notice Xavier painting a mural of a raven. It has been so long since we last talked, but that is probably for the best. I watch his paintbrush glide across the wall; His brushstrokes are always perfect and as much as I hate to admit, I admire his artistic talent.

"Oh, and that's Alice over there! Another resident artist," a familiar voice chirps, breaking me from my trance. Enid comes up to me and tackles me with a hug, "I missed you!"

"Hey Enid, I missed you, too!" I hug her back, "Okay that's enough it's starting to hurt," I laugh.

"Oops! Sorry, werewolf strength."

"It's all good. This the new roommate?" I ask.

"Yep! This is Wednesday."

I stare at the new girl. She seems quite peculiar, especially her looks. I wouldn't be surprised if she had woken up from a grave this morning.

"It is the middle of the term, and you say you miss each other. Why?" Wednesday asks, deathly serious.

"Uh? Well, I was suspended for a week. I used to bunk with Enid, but I got a dorm change," I nervously reply. Wednesday stays silent, her expression unreadable. I play with my hands unconsciously as the gothic girl stares me down.

"Oh, are you not painting anymore, Alice?" Enid asks, breaking the awkward silence.

"Huh?" my face turns into a puzzled look.

"You're not doing any murals?" Enid rephrases.

"Oh! I am, just not with Xavier," I reply, looking at the floor to avoid my old roommate's gaze. Enid opens her mouth but before she can question me, the group is interrupted.

"Yo, Enid! You're not gonna believe the dirt I heard about your new roommate," Ajax smiles, "she eats human flesh! Chowed down on that kid she murdered. You better watch your back." Enid's eyes are wide open terrified as she steps aside, revealing her roommate.

"Quite the contrary. I actually fillet the bodies of my victims, then feed them to my menagerie of pets," Wednesday states, monotone. I cannot tell whether or not she is joking. Ajax doesn't seem to know either as one of his snakes retreats back into the safety of his beanie.

"Ajax, this is my new roommate, Wednesday," Enid introduces the gothic girl, trying to break the awkward moment.

"Whoa. You're in black and white. Like a living Instagram filter," Ajax gawks. I mentally face palm at his comment.