12.

Tonight, is the night of the Rave'n

"Okay, have fun with it!" Miss Thornhill stands at the entrance, greeting Nevermore students. "You look gorgeous! So gorgeous!"

I'm holding onto Xavier's arm as we walk into the venue. White curtains, full of lights, drape in front of us and everything looks absolutely mystical.

"Welcome to this year's Rave'N! Oh, beautiful!" Miss Thornhill tells me as I enter with my date.

Xavier is wearing a white suit with his hair tied back, and he looks so handsome. I'm wearing the gorgeous crimson dress I bought earlier, and I am so glad I bought it. Our two outfits contrast and collaborate, so well together!

"What a nice top!" I hear the herbology teacher say to Ajax. "Welcome to the Rave'N."

As I walk inside, everything is shaded a tint of blue. Spotlights circle the dance floor. For a school dance with climate crisis meets extinction event as the theme, they definitely went all out. Everything looked angelic.

"Hey, I'm going to get us some drinks," Xavier tells me and I smile in return.

"Okay, I'll be by Enid," I say. He nods and walks off.

The Beginning by Magdalena Bay starts playing as I walk over to my sunshine best friend.

"Is that an abominable snowman?" I hear the mayor's son ask. He's looking up at the massive, ice statue that the school ordered as a centerpiece.

"Oh my God! You can't say that; it's offensive! The correct name is Yeti," Enid instantly reacts.

"Oh, sorry. Do any go here?" The boy says, anxiously looking around.

"Not anymore. They've been extinct since the 1950s... oh, hey Alice!" Enid waves at me.

"Hey Enid and... Lucas, right?" I ask the boy beside her, double checking that I got his name correct. His name sounds familiar, but I still can't recall where I first heard it.

"Yeah, and your... Alice?" he points at me in thought.

"Sure am," I smile, "you liking the dance?"

"Uh, well I'm not entirely sure what the theme is..."

"Our science teacher Ms. Thornhill chaired the dance committee this year. She wanted the Rave'N to feel relevant. So, our theme is climate crisis meets extinction event. But in a fun way!" Enid answers.

"Okay, the theme of our last dance was Hawaiian nights," Lucas looks slightly concerned. I laugh a little.

"Yeti-tini?" Enid offers us both a glass of smoking, blue liquid.

"I'm all good, Xavier's getting me one," I decline politely.

Enid hands one to Lucas and it slips, splashing all onto his white pants. Her date gasps. My face instantly drops with worry. Well, this dance was off to a great start...