5.

Today is Outreach day

Today is Outreach day. A futile attempt at getting the rest of the town to see us outcasts as actual, living, breathing people. All the Nevermore students are crowded around the pentagon, me included.

"All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10:00 a.m. sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00," Weems announces. Most of the Nevermore students are buzzing, talking excitedly about their assignments.

"As you know, this year Outreach Day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students," The principal continues.

I open my assignment and see the Weathervane written in fancy print. Great. A whole day working with no pay at a coffee shop. My shoulder slump. I don't even know how to be a barista.

"As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward," Weems finishes her speech.

A few students cheer, but I just sigh. Outreach day, what a delight. It's basically just free child labor.

"Yes! Yes! I got Pilgrim World! I have natural people skills and a love of performing, so it's kind of the obvi choice. What'd you get?" Enid looks expectantly at me and Wednesday.

"Uriah's Heap, whatever that is," Wednesday holds up her paper. I honestly think her position suits her; it's kooky and spooky.

"Ew. It's this weird, creepy antique store. You'll love it though," Enid says. I definitely agree.

"I got the Weathervane," I say, holding up my paper with a frown.

"Oh my God, I got the Weathervane. Dude, trade with me. Come on, trade with me!" Xavier groans, begging a smiling Ajax to swap with him. I turn my head and see the boys a few feet away, near a pillar.

"You've got to be kidding me," I sigh.

Enid looks at me smiling.

"Don't even," I say. Why was it always him? At this point it can't be a coincidence.

"I wasn't going to say anything," Enid smiles. She definitely was. "I am crossing my claws Ajax and I will be outreaching together, though" the sunshine girl changes topic.

"I hope so too," I tell Enid. I'm honestly rooting for the pair. Although, I think Enid is still rooting for Xavier and I, and I don't really know how to feel about that. I've gotten closer to him again recently, but I still want to keep my distance. It just seems that I never can.

Principal Weems walks up to our small group. She turns to the gothic girl between me and Enid. "Wednesday, don't worry about your cello. I'll have it brought to the town square this afternoon," she tells the girl.

"My cello?" Wednesday questions.

"I caught your rooftop serenade the other night. I volunteered you to accompany the Jericho High School marching band at the ceremony," Weems smiles. I remember hearing the gothic girl's enchanting music. It was absolutely beautiful. "I'm sure it won't be too challenging to play an uplifting Fleetwood Mac melody," Weems smiles.