13.

"You kissed Ajax, go you!" I celebrate with Enid

"You kissed Ajax, go you!" I celebrate with Enid. We're in the pentagon and its bustling with people. It's Parent's Weekend and the scene was lively.

"I know right! We don't have any labels yet, we want to take it slow, but I honestly see myself wearing a pastel pink princess dress for our wedding!" The sunshine girl squeals.

"I think that would suit you beautifully," I giggle softly. I can't believe she's already planning a wedding but I'm definitely calling dibs on maid of honor.

A bell tolls and everyone settles down. Enid and I head over to Wednesday and wait for the principal's address.

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are," Weems presents. She is up on a pedestal, looking down at the pentagon. Applause follows her statement. "I realize most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students. But I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So, let's focus on the positive and make this Parents' Weekend our very best yet!"

A wave of sorrow washes over me at the mention of Eugene. The boy was hospitalized and from what I heard, not doing too well. Wednesday was worried sick, and her usual hard exterior seemed to be cracked.

"On the mend? Try in a coma," Wednesday seethes.

"Have you been to see him? You're his friend," Enid asks.

"I'm the reason he's in the hospital."

"That is not your fault, okay?" Enid consoles the gothic girl.

"The monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week. Maybe you finally scared it off," I say, full of hope.

"Or maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend. I knew I should have worn my plague mask," Wednesday looks over her shoulder and I see she's looking past at a gothic family that's walking towards us. They match the gothic girl perfectly; they must be the Addams family. Although, they seem to show a lot of emotion, unlike their daughter Wednesday.

"Would you look at my family?" Enid sighs. A pack of werewolves are jumping round on all fours and howling. "Talk about toxic pack mentality. I give my mom 30 seconds before her judge-y claws come out." Enid sighs, "Let's get this over with."

Both the girls walk off in opposite directions, leaving me by myself. I look around the pentagon to see if anyone else I know is in the same boat as me. In truth, I'm actually looking for Xavier. He got a text from his father this morning saying that he couldn't make it. My heart saddens for him. He's always had family issues and honestly, I do, too.

With what happened with my father and seeing as my mother only spontaneously visited for a week or two every couple of years, I was mostly alone. But, seeing Xavier's father be idolized by so many people, while also being such a neglectful parent was definitely difficult. I could only imagine how hard it was for the teenage boy. In any case, I do my best to be there for him.

I look up and see Xavier leaning over a railing. He notices me and gives me a small wave. I wave back and signal that I'm going to come up to him. He smiles in return, giving a thumbs up.

I turn around to head to the stairs and walk straight into a mass of red. I step back and see crazy, crimson curls, similar to the color of my hair. The lady I'm looking at is wearing a sage green dress and is covered in crystals. She wears multiple sigils tattooed onto her body. Necklaces, rings and bracelets cover her skin.

"Hello, Alice!  It's been too long my dear," the witch pulls me into a hug. I freeze a little.

"It's been two years, Mother," is all I can manage to say.

...............。o*★*o。...............

𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥'𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘

Short chapter for now, but we're nearing the end! When I do finish this book, I'm thinking of writing a Darkest Minds fanfic or maybe Maze Runner. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

-crimsonplanets

..............................