14.

"Hi, I'm Xavier," the long-haired boy introduces himself to my mother

"Hi, I'm Xavier," the long-haired boy introduces himself to my mother. I stand nearby eyeing her movements; I have no clue what she is up to, but I have a feeling it can't be good. The older woman grabs Xavier and pulls him into a hug and I roll my eyes. She was definitely way too friendly for someone I hadn't seen in two years. I watch onwards as the teenage boy awkwardly hugs her back.

"Mom, let him go," I scoff. She releases the boy from her grip and puts her hands up in the air mockingly. She gives me a sly smile and my eyes narrow at her.

"So, this is your boyfriend?" She asks me. I look at Xavier and he smiles at me.

"Yeah, he is," I smile back at my boyfriend. I guess it's official now.

"Wonderful! How long have you been together? Two years, three?" She asks, looking between us expectantly.

"Try three days," I laugh. Xavier chuckles a bit too.

"Oh, lovely," my mother looks slightly embarrassed, "it's been way too long, my dear," her voice saddens.

"Yeah, it has..." I drift off. Xavier notices this and puts a reassuring hand on the small of my back.

"Hey, we should go to the Weathervane," Xavier says, "have a catch up over coffee?"

"That sounds wonderful," my mother says happily. I nod, but all I can think about is how painful this weekend was going to be.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

At the Weathervane, we sit down in a side booth. Xavier sits next to me, and my mother sits across from us. Tyler comes over and hands us our drinks. He notices the awkward atmosphere and doesn't stay long enough to have a chat.

"Where have you been all these years?" I ask, taking a sip of my drink.

"Oh, well you know, earth witch business," she says, waving her hand.

"No actually, I don't." I can feel the anger rushing into my body, but I keep a cool façade.

"Oh, well..." my mother begins, but she quickly shakes her head and changes direction, "let's talk about you dear, how have you been?" She smiles at me.

"Well, you should already know, Weems said she gave you an update," I say coolly.

"Who?" My Mother asks. I scoff in disbelief.

"Hey, why don't we-" Xavier begins, but I cut him off.

"Xavier, can you please wait outside? I need to talk to my mother alone," I say. I try not to be harsh, but I see Xavier stiffen at my sharpness. "I'm sorry Xavier, but would you mind hanging out with Ajax's family just for today?" I rephrase, this time a lot nicer than before. He gives me a nod and stands up with his drink.