3.

Today is unfortunately the Harvest Festival

Today is unfortunately the Harvest Festival. Colors whirl around everywhere, kids are screaming, and music is blasting. The whole event is basically just one big sensory overload.

The most I can do to entertain myself is play the carnival games. I throw a ball straight into a cup tower, but not a single one drops. I groan. "There's five bucks I'll never get back. These games are so rigged," I say to myself.

"You sure about that? Because I just saw Wednesday win a giant panda," Xavier grins.

"You again," I whine.

"Yep," the boy smirks.

"You'd think that I would get to be excluded from such wonderful events like these, since I was put in isolation, but nope. I couldn't be so lucky."

"How is isolation, seriously Alice?" Xavier jumps at the opportunity to ask about my wellbeing.

"I shouldn't have brought it up," I try to walk away.

"Alice."

"Fine, since you want to know so bad," I say frustratedly, turning to face him, "It's amazing, considering now I'm on an individual curfew, I was forced out of my dorm, and I have to see a shrink once a fortnight," I say sarcastically.

Xavier frowns, "are you at least feeling any better?"

I sigh, "I-"

My eye catches a glimpse of black. Wednesday is running through the festival with Tyler, clearly being chased. Fireworks explode in the sky, illuminating the scene bright, crimson red. Xavier turns his head to see what I'm looking at. A group of normies are chasing the pair and Wednesday trips into Tyler's arms. Her head shoots upright, her eyes wide open. I look at her confused.

"Wednesday, we need to go. Wednesday, come on. Wednesday!" Tyler urges the gothic girl. I see Rowan run off away from the pair. Wednesday suddenly comes back to reality.

"Rowan come back!" Wednesday runs off into the forest after the boy.

I grab Xavier's sleeve and pull him to the edge of the forest, behind me. I peer into the dark trees, waiting for Wednesday to return. I'm not sure if following Rowan into the forest was a part of her escape plan, but it definitely didn't feel right.

"We should go in after her," I say.

"You sure about that? Because If I know one thing, Wednesday does not like being saved. I got a whole lecture from her last time," Xavier says.