Azula was his masterpiece, and when he found out she was teaching her kindness he threatened to isolate Azula for training purposes.

Azula already struggled with loneliness, her only friends were Mai and Ty Lee, and she didn't think Zuko was allowed to be her friend anymore.

Ursa didn't want to risk having Ozai isolate her completely, she feared that would kill any chance her daughter had at one day being happy.

So now she had to solve another argument between her two children, hoping that one day they would get along better.

Zuko looked at her and pointed at Azula accusingly, "She lied and said that dad was going to try and kill me!"

Azula spat back, "I didn't lie, I heard him say it!"

Ursa paled in fear as she heard their squabble.

She grabbed Azula's arm, dragging her away from Zuko so he wouldn't hear what she needed Azula to tell her.

She looked her daughter in the eyes, "I need you to tell me everything."

.......

Ursa had just finished poisoning Azulon and now had to leave the palace. She should have already left, but she had to try and see her children one last time.

She had already tried Azula but Ozai had kept her hidden, Ursa had to give up on seeing her that night.

Now she was in Zuko's room, ready to say goodbye to her only son. She didn't know what would happen to her now.

She didn't expect Ozai to keep his promise of just banishing her. She knew he would send assassins at a later time to finish her off. She had to disappear before they were able to find any traces of her.

She knew she couldn't take her children with her, Ozai would overlook her leaving but not his children.

He wanted to groom Azula into his successor and he didn't want the embarrassment of having his firstborn flee.

No, she had to leave them alone, she knew it would be hard for them but she needed them to survive.

She hoped one day they would forgive her, but this was the only way she could save them.

She shook Zuko awake, watching as he droopily opened his eyes.

His birthmark was just as beautiful as it always was, she studied it one last time, knowing it would be the last time she sees it.

"Mom? What's going on?"

She looked at her child who was still looking at her half-awake.

"I have to leave now Zuko."

Zuko's eyes snapped open, "What? What do you mean you're leaving? What's going on?"

She looked into his panicked eyes and held him close, "Zuko, I can't tell you but I promise that everything I'm doing is for you. Zuko, I need you to promise me something."

She held him by the shoulders and forced him to look at her, "Never forget who you are Zuko. Promise me that."

Zuko looked at her and slowly nodded, tears in his eyes as he held her close.

Ursa pulled away as she took off her necklace, it held the rings she and Ikem gave each other. Ozai never cared about her old life, he only wanted his heirs so she was allowed to keep them.

She took the rings off her necklace and placed them in Zuko's hand.

She knew she was running out of time but this was the last thing she could do.