Part 9

I sat nervously in Starbucks holding a cup of coffee gently blowing it but not sipping. I snatched a glance from the clock. 20 minutes late of course.

My phone buzzed. It was James.

"Cec I haven't heard from you is everything ok where are you what are you doing? J x"

As I began to reply a felt a shadow standing over me. I could smell stale cigarretes and as I looked up there was a very wet man standing there with a bouquet of lilac flowers. I smiled at him and I felt him relax a little.

"Cecily I'm sorry I got held up with.."

"It's ok Daniel don't worry. Take a seat."

I never called him dad because anyone can be a dad but it takes a man to be father and in my eyes he was not my father.

"How have you been? I saw your picture in the paper. Have you got a boyfriend now? James Franco I saw. Wow how did you manage that."

"Yeh I know. Crazy right. He's great I'm sure you'd like him. I forgot to send you the invite but I have an art show tomorrow. Your welcome to drop by only if you want to of course."

"Wow Cec thats great but.."

"No of course I didn't think you'd come just an idea"

I took a big sip of my coffee. He flaked again.

"Its just I have my daughters school play tomorrow night so I can't."

I almost choked on my drink.

"Excuse me?"

"I was waiting for a good time to tell you but I met someone a couple years back and well I have a daughter and two boys. They are much younger then you and vi.."

"Violet."

He sighed.

"Violet. I was going to tell you Cec but I didn't know what time would be appropriate."

"Why? Its none of my business how you live your life just how its none of your business how I live mine. I've got to go Ive got some work to do."

I stood up briskly and put my coat on. He stood up to hug me.

"Dont...Please."

I could feel the tears welling up but I wouldn't never allow myself to cry in front of him. He was the one who broke me. I can't let him get to me like he got to my mom. He sat back down and I heard him sniffle but I couldn't believe the disrespect.

"Can I just say Daniel."

I picked up the flowers and studied them.

"The fact I even let you see me. The fact I even talk to you. The fact you are the reason my my mom. My incredible mom is crazy. You didn't even have the respect to come and save me and Violet. You could have fought for us but you didn't. You started again because you fucked up your old life so you thought you could start again, but when you have children thats not how it works. We are here we are real you can't just erase us! Have some respect please."

"Cecily I still love you both with all my heart and I regret what Idid so much I still do. All I want is for us to be together again.."

"Well I don't. I'm sorry but this has to stop. Please don't contact Violet or me. Ever. Keep the flowers and give them to your real daughter. You are no father of mine."

A small tear rolled down his cheek before I exited. The cold air shocked me when I got outside and the tears started to flow. I ran down the street to a small park bench and reached for my bag to get a cigarette and lit it. The icy cold air hurt my skin but the cigarette relieved me. My phone buzzed again.

"Cecily are you ok? Please I'm worried where are you?"

"Its ok James I just saw Daniel. I am down the high street. I'll see you later."

"I'm here as well Cecily. I can see you on the bench I'm coming down."

I surveyed the area but couldn't see James. I smelt his cologne and immediately began to cry. He dashed around from behind me and wrapped me in his arms. He threw my cigarrete on the floor and held me.

"Where is he?"

I felt his grip loosen but I clung tighter.

"No please. Can we just go."

A sudden flash went from nearby. What the hell was that?

"Shit its the paps lets go."

I clung to James with tears still streaming and I felt the familiar warmth of the cameras.

We got home and he took me inside.

"Cecily talk to me."

I gazed up into his perfect face. He looked worried.

"He.. He has another family now."

James exhaled and placed his hand on my head before pulling into my chest.

"Well fuck him he's there problem now."

I pushed James of and began to stumble towards the door.

"Cecily wait I'm sorry just please talk to me. I hate seeing you like this."

"I can't James. I need to call Violet."

I felt James follow me out the hall but I couldn't continue. I turned around and practically lunged on him taking him back a few steps. I kissed him so hard and it felt so good. I felt my tears press onto his face but it felt ok. He clung to my waist and kissed me back hard. Yes I did. I really did love him.