Chapter 16 | Gruen and Ambush

The group are now traversing the harsh deserts of Gruen. All of them are in Hajime's Brise. As usual, Hajime is on the driver seat, Yue occupying the other front seat, while Rimuru, Tio, and Myu are on the back.

In this orange and dusty place, boredom was inevitable for the Demon Lord.

As for the rest, they were still on alert for the monsters that lurk in the sands.

"...where are we going again?" Asked a bored Rimuru.

"To the Grand Gruen Volcano. It's a labyrinth."

"Hehh?"

Other than the giant, overgrown worms that occasionally attempt to lounge at the car, no other issues presented themselves before them.

That is, until...

"Is that... a person?" Asked Yue.

A little far away in the direction they're heading is a lying corpse surrounded by dozens of gigantic worms easily reaching at least 20 meters in length.

It was as unnatural as it could get. Why was a corpse lying here in the middle of nowhere? And why aren't the worms eating them? It piqued the gang's curiosity.

"Let's check it out," Hajime replied.

In sync, openings appeared on all angles of Brise and out of them came built-in rocket launchers and machine guns.

This killing-specialized and highly modernized arsenal of machinery is what made Hajime strong, and his weapons symbolized his combat power, aside from his innovation and exceptionally strong will.

These weapons shot through the worms in large booms and quick successions. Their large bodies quickly burst in large pools of purple blood that covered the entire car.

The wipers on the windshield quickly got to work to restore vision. Strangely, not a single blood of the worms was visible on the corpse's body.

"Is he alive?" Tio asked. To which, Rimuru replied, "Nah. He died. Just now," sounding like he just lost a toy.

"Forget it, then." Hajime says.

He stepped on the accelerator and the group once again began to rush for the Grand Gruen Volcano.

.........

......

...

"Stop the car." An hour after that unusual encounter, Rimuru ordered Hajime to stop the car in the middle of nowhere.

"Huh?" Naturally, Hajime asked, confused. "Why?"

"You guys go ahead," Rimuru replied as he goes out of the car.

"Is this a test? You won't cripple me if I actually go, won't you?" Hajime wouldn't put it past Rimuru to do that, he was sure. But, Rimuru actually seemed for real.

"Who do you think I am?" Asked an exasperated Rimuru.

"...Oh well, where will we meet up?"

"I'll just find you, don't bother."

"I see..."

"Bye~"

"""—Byeee—"""

With that short dialogue, Brise sped up, vanishing into the dusty clouds of the desert.

"Now then..."

Rimuru's soothing voice spread out in his area. The haziness in the desert where no life is present, the tiny pieces of matter that began to float, surround, and orbit him.