Chapter 11 | Silent Chat with the Dragon

(I edited the last chapter a lot, and changed the entire last part when Rimuru was folding Hearst so it's best for you to re-read it.)

I leaped through space as I find myself in the tallest tower of Horaud. It was past midnight and the normally bustling and active street was peacefully quiet as the town's residents slept through the night.

However, dozens of things were happening in the dark alleys from my perspective. Various 'terrible' things. I took a look at the massive hotel where Hajime was staying. Ilwa and Will, along with his family, appeared to have lavished Hajime with a ton of money and thanks.

I quietly observed the town in front of me, then, coming to a conclusion, flew through a particular destination. Just outside the town's borders— on the bushier part, is a campfire with someone notable sitting quietly around it.

.........

......

...

"What are you doing all the way out here? At this time, too?" I asked Tio who was sitting on a log, a bonfire in front of her as she looked lost in thought. She turned around in wariness and surprise when she was snapped back to reality but loosened down when she saw it was me.

"...Oh, Rimuru...san." She said as she stared at me. I don't get why she uses honorifics for me. Raphael told me she's over five-hundred years old, while I'm around two hundred.

<<Report. 193>>

...thank you? I didn't know what to say at that.

"..."

"...I was just... thinking about the past."

She said so with an expression of reminiscing. After that, without warning whatsoever, she began to story tell her entire story.

The atmosphere was dyed red, flames burned throughout the city. A massive magic circle hung in the sky. Blood splattered the walls and clogged the gutters.

"This... This can't..." A young girl's voice echoed through the silence.

She had beautiful black hair and piercing golden eyes. And she couldn't have been more than ten. Reflected in her eyes was her hometown, embroiled in a swathe of flames. She stood atop a small observation platform, her long hair and kimono swaying in the warm breeze.

Why did this have to happen? Until recently, the different races had lived together in peace. There had been no discrimination, no persecution.

"Princess...it's not safe here. You must escape." The girl's attendant urged her to flee. However, the young girl shook her head without taking her eyes off the city.

"Princess..."

"Venri. I am the princess of Klarus. My father, and my countrymen are still fighting down there. Yet you would have me flee? If there is a place I should be... it is down there."

"You mustn't, Princess!"

"I know. Even if I were to go, I would only be a hindrance. Never have I cursed my youth and inexperience so."

A thin trail of blood ran down her mouth. She'd bit her lip so hard it bled.

Her country had been razed and her people slaughtered. Now, her family was on the verge of being killed. And she was powerless to stop it. She hated her own weakness more than she despised her enemies.

It was then that the person whose safety she feared for the most appeared.

"Tio, I told you to head inside the barrier!"