XXXVIII

Christmas Eve dinner at your place was crowded unlike the past christmas spent in your home. Your mother had to decline making it to the family gathering at the last minute when her son's gang pulled up in her front yard with a few other girls, holding presents and dishes.

The Hanagaki's were expecting to leave their home early to catch the train to their province, only for them to be stuck at home with a whole gang council in the living room yelling about a game, a few mothers chatting in the dining area about how rowdy their sons were and a few girls giggling around.

Your mother sighed with a small smile, "Dios mío, I thought I was making dinner for your grandparents." You chuckled as she put an arm over your shoulder. "It's just like being at work." She shook her head.

"Sorry again for the intrusion, Naomi." Baji's mother walked towards you, with an apologetic smile, "The boys really wanted to spend Christmas Eve together. We were going to invite you to the park but we figured it'd be too cold outside."

Your mother laughed, "It would be! It's nice to celebrate with a lot anyway. The more the merrier!" Ryoko smiled at her response as she had led your mother to the dining area and introduced her to Chifuyu and Mitsuya's mothers as well.

Your friends had arrived a few moments later with their family, along with the Tachibana's. The house was so packed, you were starting to have difficulties in breathing.

You squeezed yourself through the crowd, making your way out of your home. Letting out a quiet sigh with your visible breath through the cold, you closed the door gently.

"Need a breather too, huh?" A voice asked. You looked up to see Baji, staring completely at the bright moon of the cold christmas night. The rays of the lanterns out your home along with the lines of the moon's glimmer was the only sources illuminating his features. He didn't turn to look at you, guilt rushing over him when he realized he still hadn't apologize about his stupid outburst. Though it was understandable, he still didn't have the absolute right to tell you what to do. That's what he thinks, at least.

He didn't own you. You didn't need to depend on him. You didn't need to depend on anyone. He just wanted to keep you safe, that's it.

As his hair swayed through the freezing breeze, you walked closer. You could barely see his face all white ang but his cheeks and nose were red and puffy. "Look, man, I'm sorry for lashing out on you." You muttered, fiddling with your gloves as you tried to avoid the boy's stare.

"It was kinda stupid." You tried to add on to get rid of the silence but Baji stayed silent. He couldn't find the words to tell you how he felt about this situation. "I know you were looking out for me, I really appreciate that. It's just..."

You contemplated what to say. You wanted to tell him how you feel without hurting his feelings more than the night before but you just couldn't find a way how. "You can handle things." Baji finished, finally turning to face you. "On your own," He added, a soft smile forming on his face showing you that he understood.

Though his eyes expressed every negative emotion he wanted to let out, he kept it all on. He didn't want to push you away any longer. Heck, he never wanted to do it in the first place. Baji can be... exertive about how he displayed his emotions, but he knew better than to push it to the people he cared for.

"I'm sorry too. Look, If you like Kisaki-"

"LALALA, not listening, I don't like that corn cob!" You interrupted, covering your ears as you chanted every noise you could to block out anything concerning the tanned blond.

Baji stayed silent, his smile not fading away as you closed your eyes; In denial of how you actually felt. "Dude, If I knew better, I wouldn't think you're in love." He teased as he hooked his arm over your shoulders, teasing you with his signature grin. "NOPE!" You denied once again, pushing him away as you bent to the snow filled ground.

"What are you doing?" He asked dumbfoundedly, not realizing you'd already scooped a handful of snow in your hands.

Before the boy had a moment of realization, remnants of snow filled his face from the impact of the snowball you had thrown his way. He blinked repeatedly, processing what had just happened as you bursted out laughing out of instinct.

You expected that from Takemichi, but someone like Baji? Who had reflexes and agility like a madman? You couldn't help but cry as you hollered in laughter. As you kept laughing, a ball of the white cold substance had hit your head causing you to stop abruptly.

This time, It was your turn to process and Baji's turn to holler loudly.

It had turned into a declaration of friendly war when that had happened, and before you knew any better, the both of you had akready started to throw snowballs at a rapid speed towards each other.

As Takemichi stepped outside, in hopes to find you, he got hit by a snowball from Baji who immediately ducked down in hopes of not being caught. "Oops." You muttered, holding the snowball you had in your hand gently as you wished he would let that slide.

Mikey saw the scene and gleefully stepped outside pulling Draken to the backyard of your home and decided to join the battle. He had thrown a handful of snow at you which made Baji rejoice knowing his childhood friend was on his side.

"That was not fair! I wasn't ready!" You complained. Before you had continued to scold him, the commander fell to the ground due to the impact of another attack. You and Baji looked to see where it was from to see Draken's smug smile and unamused eyes, tossing a snowball repeatedly in his hands before he had thrown it to Baji.

More men had joined and many had given a well-sacrifice. The battle had lasted a long time before everyone was called to dinner.

You hadn't had this much fun since you were five, and this may have competed with that event well. But you will never forget that night.

But, The memories you do cherish last a lifetime.

A/n: IT'S CHRISTMAS SEASON!! Can't wait to end this book for another project I'll probably neglect /j.