Chapter Twenty Seven {Davinia} 🌹

The silence is sickening, every breath he takes will feel like a stab to his heart. I can feel his dread all the way from here, my smile widens. My eyes take to notice every of his moments, the way his eyes would drop and then open like he doesn't want to be caught. The way his left hand keeps shaking like a leaf. His face is pale and beads of sweat form on his fore head. He looks miserable, He probably doesn't know that he has being poisoned. Fool.

The room is almost empty. Everyone agreed with my plan. I deceived them into believing that the only reason I want to marry Rolan is just so I can do my findings then ruin him from the inside. They all bought it, including Federico.
The ones remaining are Uncle, Federico and myself. I watch from the rim of my glasses how he unconsciously adjusts his collar and pats his chest area as if to enable himself to breathe properly.

"Is everything alright Rico?" My uncle asks. Turns out I'm not the only one who noticed his discomfort. Federico clears his throat and crosses his right leg over the other.

"I think I'm coming down with a flu or something" He grumbles out. Uncle eyes him cautiously.

"Get yourself treated. Don't be a baby Rico" He says. Federico coughs slightly his ears turns red. He covers his mouth with his handkerchief. I spot the watch on his wrist.
It could be a coincidence but I don't believe in coincidences. Rico's wife owns a jewelry brand "Savinas". Right now this watch had a unique intricate designs on the rim of the glass. It has the letter S on it.

The bombers wore a watch similar to Ricos watch but theirs didn't have the letter S on it. Still, it could have been a new model or a old model or the watch was purposely made for a certain purpose. The designs on it were similar, way too similar.

"Your watch is quite stunning if I do say so myself" I say with fake interest. His movements stills for a second, he eyes meet mine for a split second before he looks down on his watch. His eyebrows furrow then it disappears.

"A birthday gift from my wife. She made it for me" He explains, adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

He coughs again, covering his mouth with his handkerchief. My smile broadens at the sight. "I'll let you leave so you can visit the hospital. We don't want you spreading whatever virus you've got" I say to him with a wave of my hand dismissing him.
He carefully and slowly gets up from his seat.

"Your plan to marry Dimitri and destroy him from the inside is outstanding. They need to pay for the innocent lives that were lost" he mentions sourly after which he bows a little to us and slowly walks out of the room.

"Yes, for the innocent lives indeed" I whisper beneath my breath, watching him walk like an injured snail out of the room.
I give him two months. If he doesn't come out clean about his betrayal... I won't give him a cure. He can go to any hospital and they would diagnose him with tuberculosis, no less. It's not a poison that can be easily detected, only a herbal specialist can detect it and even if it is detected there won't be a cure for him unless I decide to be merciful and boy am I far from merciful.

Uncle clears his throat and I turn lazily to his side.

"I did nothing to him uncle" I drawl, spinning the pen in my hand.

"I didn't say anything did I?"

My eyes roll playfully to the roof my head. "Right"

"What did he do?"

"Nothing"

"Priscillaaa"

"Per l'amor di Dio. Non ho fatto niente a quell'uomo!" (For God's sake. I did nothing to the man)

His eyes squints at me then he raises his hands in mock surrender. "You can't kill him Davi, remember what your papa said" he says.

There he goes again, using my papa to keep me in line. Papa did say not to kill Federico and honestly I wonder why. Going through my memory of papa... He never liked Federico, he could tolerate his idoicy and ignorance but he didn't like him one bit. Then why did he insist on keeping him alive?. The man is as rotten as a spoilt mango.

"I make no promises Uncle"

"Davii"

The pen in my hand stops spinning. The playful expression on my face disappears. "Papa said not to kill him but he also said I shouldn't let anyone threaten my existence" my voice comes out in a hiss. Uncle sighs like he's tired of my shit.

"That is why I asked if he offended you"

I scoff.

"You don't worry Uncle, everything is..... Great" I send him a wide smile, he eyes me suspiciously with a shake of his head he drops the matter. "How many of our members did we lose?"

"30"

"that's a lot"

"Yes. We should meet with the families and compensate them" He says, sourly.
I nod in understanding.

"You know just money won't do it" the pen in my mind resumes spinning. "They need to be avenged. They just won't accept just accept our sympathy and money. An eye for an eye, blood for blood" the pen in my hand snaps into two.

"The minister's wife is celebrating her 50th birthday. We were invited alongside the Russians" Uncle says as he gets up to his feet and buttons up his vest. He looks down at me, strict but also tense.
I smile teasingly at him.

"We'll attend the party" I pause for extra effect. "Together as a couple". Uncle shakes his head slowly at me before walking out with a smile tugging his lips.

A birthday party huh. It's being a while since I've attended a party or an event.

This should be interesting.