♠ NINETEEN ♠

Once Lady Ossenna was tucked in and we'd all changed into dry, clean, and non-armored clothing, I invited everyone to join me in the Meeting Room. We had much to discuss, and I needed council.

Without Lady Ossenna's sparkle, the room was dim and dreary, but we had no choice—she needed bed-rest to heal. Servants set club-and-meat pies before us, filled our goblets with rich red wine, and deposited bowls of chocolates and pastries next to the copper candles in the middle of the table.

But none of us were hungry, too distraught by what we'd discovered, what we'd witnessed in the jungle.

"Jack's wounds were mended and he's in the dungeons," said Ysac, wincing as Teodric applied pressure on the wound above his temple. They wore matching black and red tunics and leather trousers, their hair tied back and out of their faces. "He's pissed because he'll never walk the same again, but at least that means he won't attempt an escape."

I released a lengthy breath. "Yes. Thank you for not killing him, Teo." I winked at the brown-eyed prince, who reddened. "So, we have a hostage... this is an advantage. Though I doubt they care much about him. He's magic-less and owns no lands and has no titles. But he's privy to their plans, I'm sure."

"We can start interrogations as soon as you wish, Majesty," said Teodric, plastering a quick kiss on Ysac's cheek. How far this shy traveler had come, from shrinking in my presence to barely stuttering when addressed.

Ysac turned beet-red and lowered his gaze, but I caught him smirking. If only for a second, my heart swelled with admiration for them. In love against all odds, despite the war on the horizon.

Tilda tapped her carnelian-colored nails to the table, to get my attention. "I might be of assistance in that area." She batted her lashes. "Jack always had a bit of a soft spot for me. I may even be able to sway him to our purpose again."

Astrida scoffed, her eyes like icicles about to stab into Tilda. "You think everyone has a soft spot for you." She tugged at the diamond pendant around her neck, its metal digging into her skin as she glared at Teodric and Ysac in their canoodling happiness. "Jack liked Luned best."

I needed to find her a husband, and fast, before she plotted some coup to ruin Ysac's happiness.

"Yes, well, Luned prefers Otho, doesn't she? And I think everyone has a soft spot for me because everyone does." Tilda stuck her tongue out. "Stop being jealous. It makes your skin look green."

Astrida gasped, but before she could utter some smart retort I jammed a fist onto the table. "Enough bickering, you two! If necessary, I'll send you both in to taunt him. I'll need all the help I can get, but I wish to speak to him myself, first."

Sir Sym cleared his throat as he set his goblet down, loud enough to garner everyone's focus.

"That's all lovely, and I admire your positivity," he said, depressingly solemn as he angled back in his seat. "But we're another mage down. I'm the only remaining advisor. And the one who will receive Ossenna's powers if she dies is our enemy. These are trying times and we must be realistic."

I melted into my cushions as I reached for my cup and swirled its contents. "Can Sinclair be Arden and the new Ace of Diamond Valley at the same time?"

Eyebrows scrunching, Sir Sym plucked a strawberry from a nearby platter and studied it. "I have no clue. This has never happened. We've never had such a situation."

"Sorry, Sir Sym, but it's looking like we'll have to murder your kid—" Teodric started, but Ysac slapped him on the shoulder and glowered at him. "Ow! I mean, no offense, but if he's fueling Otho's powers, and he poses a threat to Lady Ossenna, then we should aim for him, right? Once he's gone, we get a new Arden, make sure they're on our side, and we even the playing field, yes?"