♠ EIGHT ♠

We were solemn and silent on the road back to Acewood. No racing down the dirt paths with vigor, no speeding up through the meadows, no laughter or good-natured banter. Neither of us felt okay in those moments, unsure how Luned had her sights on us, and wary that even distanced from the sea, she still did.

Did she have spies in the castle? Spies on our tail as we left? Spies in the water when we'd borrowed the boat? I assumed Ysac experienced similar thoughts as we cruised through Acewood City, ignoring curious onlookers, keeping our chins down. We passed the high-walled barricade surrounding the castle, and a wave of relief washed over us; but it was short-lived, as we had a welcoming committee at the stables.

A stern-faced Sir Sym, and an outraged Lady Ossenna.

"Did you have a pleasant excursion?" The bottoms of Sir Sym's silky breeches were caked with the stable's dusty dirt as he towered near the entrance. "A nice escapade into peril?"

Lady Ossenna, so enraged her eyes had shifted from gracious galaxies to rueful red orbs, paced back and forth in front of an enclosure, her heels click-clicking on the floors. Her dazzling dress of salmon and sage-colored satin hypnotized me as it swayed with her steps.

"What is wrong with you?" She'd been biting her lip; I noticed teeth marks through her aubergine lip-stain. "Not only did you go without an escort—"

"—hey, I was there!" interjected Ysac, slamming the door to his horse's enclosure. "I'm her escort, remember?"

Lady Ossenna didn't pay him any mind. "You told no one where you were going! During such difficult times you cannot do this, Majesty!"

Sir Sym stood behind her and barred her barreling strides, wrapping his large hands over her shoulders to steady her. "Calm down, Ossenna. They returned, they're alive, and that's what matters."

She whirled around and snarled at him. "But they could have—"

"—they didn't." His gaze flickered to me for a moment, cat-like and crippling, causing me to grit my teeth. "They returned to us unharmed, and I see no need to further harrow them with our concerns."

He massaged her shoulders, but kept his focus on me.

"I must ask that you refrain from sneaking out like that again, Majesty. These are dangerous days, what with three culprits on the loose—two of them with powers. I understand your desire to punish Luned, but until we have better intelligence on her plans and location, you cannot go after her yourself."

My gaze found Ysac, whose eyes were their electric violet as he sucked in his lips. "About that," he said, jutting his chin at the crumpled document I clutched in my grasp. "We received something. From Luned."

The instant I lifted my hand and unfolded the parchment, Sir Sym snatched it from me, hissing as if it had bitten him. "Are you mad? You touched this?" He waved the paper in the air, holding it with the tips of his index and thumb.

Lady Ossenna inspected my palm as if I'd been injected with poison. "Are you okay?"

"I tested it first," said Ysac, frowning as he crossed his arms. "I'm her guard and cup-bearer, did you think I'd let her take hold of it without being sure it wasn't poisoned?"

Clasping my wrist, Lady Ossenna shoved my sleeve up to check my forearm, then bicep, then my other side. "Any faintness, dizziness, nausea? Swelling, itchiness, loss of consciousness or hallucinations?"

I ripped myself from her and groaned. "Nausea from the sea and from the constant hovering, yes." I peered over at Sir Sym, who still held the message away from himself as if it might explode. "Did you read it? It could be a clue."