♠ NINE ♠

"I can find them," said Arden, after several arduous moments of silence. "But I must be isolated in my lair in the basement, far from distractions. These powers are unusual, and I've yet to control them."

All three mages watched me, waiting for confirmation. Waiting for me to approve this drastic decision. Waiting for me to allow our new Arden to test out their abilities.

I blinked and blew out an exhausted breath as I sank into my seat. "Then do it. The faster the better. Are you positive you're up for the task?"

Arden rose, their thick layers of black material billowing out like a storm cloud expanding through the sky. "I have no choice. There's no better way to learn than to get to work, no?" They pushed their chair in and bowed. "I hope it takes no longer than a day or two."

They didn't give me a chance to reply and hurried out of the chamber to reach their underground bunker. It was a place no human was allowed to visit; only mages had the ability to travel through the spell-work indented in the doorway. I'd seen the entrance once or twice, but never got close enough to view exactly what hid within.

As yet another sensation of unease settled in my stomach, I also got up. "Well, if there's nothing else, I would like to—"

"—there is something else, Majesty," said Sir Sym, though he couldn't seem to keep his gaze on me. He peered at the table, and Lady Ossenna, across from him, did the same. Both pumped their chests out but kept their chins dipped, and I had a feeling they were about to say something they knew would upset me. "We have visitors who wish to consult with you, in the throne room."

"Visitors?" I muffled a yawn and took Ysac's arm as he offered it. Picturing my fluffy pillows and weighted blankets, I smiled. "I'm quite tired from all that has unraveled today. Can it not wait until later? Tomorrow, perhaps?" My riding corset itched, my boots were growing tight around my calves, and the pounding in my head grew worse the longer I kept my eyes open.

I caught Lady Ossenna wincing. "Well..."

Sir Sym coughed into his hand while continuing to avoid my gaze. "These visitors are important. They cannot wait, Majesty."

Neither made a move to stand, and Sir Sym appeared to cower as I walked behind his chair.

"Oh no," Ysac whispered as he led me towards the door to the throne room. "I think I know what this is."

I heard Ossenna and Sym murmuring something as they stood, but couldn't decipher their words. My sisters, however, were far from discreet as they hastened the other way, to their private chambers, saying "Oh, this will not please her."

"Not please me? What will displease me?" I yanked on Ysac's arm and stopped us at the threshold.

Inside the throne room the dais, straight ahead, blocked my view, but voices came from in front of it. Mostly deeper, throatier sounding voices—men, from what I could tell.

Who had my mages decided to submit me to? Was it some sort of punishment? I'd disobeyed them so they'd convened the peasants and patrons who wanted to petition me for money and lower taxes? No, I wasn't ready for that.

I forced Ysac to turn and look at me. "What is going on?"

He grimaced. "I am not one hundred percent certain, but do you remember when Teo and I teased you about suitors?"

I stilled, the memory of their implication twisting my stomach into unbearable knots. "No... no, they... they didn't. They wouldn't. Would they? Without consulting me first?"

I pulled free from his arm and stomped over to the rear stairs leading onto the dais, but didn't climb. Slipping up to my tip-toes, I glanced around my throne—and there they were.