♠ FIVE ♠

Once Sir Sym's public interrogation had ended—and my guests were sufficiently confused about what it all entailed—my advisors told me they needed to take Sinclair to an adjoining room for further testing. They'd placed temporary spells on a few of my guards to keep watch over me in the meantime and hoped their examination wouldn't take too long.

"We'll be discreet," Ossenna mentioned to me before she and Sir Sym crept out of the ballroom, Sinclair on their heels. "We must prod him more, and these means aren't ones we can divulge in front of others. If anyone figures out the possibility of him being the next Arden, it will compromise everything. No one can know what Arden looks like."

It was all surreal to me. Prodding someone to peek into the depths of their soul and read their innermost intentions? A bit too invasive for my taste. Yet, I didn't disagree with all the hoops to jump through. Arden's role was essential in our kingdom, Father had always reminded me of that. I never comprehended how such power came from a few pieces of enchanted cloth, and how that cloth only responded to certain people with magical properties. But as Father also told me, "It's not the place of a monarch to question their mages." I agreed—to an extent. Because there was one mage I wanted to question, and my means of doing so wouldn't be behind closed doors. And I prayed it would end in a very public, bloody execution.

Twirling the burgundy liquid in my cup, I watched Tilda, near the balcony doors, screening through girls she wanted to present to me as ladies-in-waiting. Her red and white polka-dotted gown swished and swirled as she marched around them, observing the way they sipped from their goblets, scrutinizing how they held their utensils. Her lacy high collar crashed against her chin, but even from afar I spotted her tension. I expected she'd run over to me at any moment to declare how all the women she'd interviewed were useless.

Astrida, as anticipated, loitered near the champagne fountain, filling and refilling her cup, her curvy figure compressed under a sparkly, tight-fitting gown that flared out at the ankles. She'd forgone her usual diamonds, for once, claiming she didn't want to outshine me. And yet her crimson curls were so bouncy and boisterous that it was hard not to notice her. She pouted her peachy lips at any man who passed her, but I caught her ogling Teodric on more than one occasion.

Luckily, the foreign prince stayed close to his fiancé. He'd chosen to wear a mahogany ensemble that helped him mold into the throng of guests without drawing attention.

As I stared at the couple, both flipped around to me. I waved them over, bored with lounging on my miserable throne as everyone else had fun, and eager to share the idea blooming in my mind. The one that had taken root earlier that day, and that wouldn't stop bothering me now.

"Majesty," said Ysac, bowing at the bottom of the dais. "Do you need something?"

"Come up here." I gestured at them to join me.

Ysac didn't hesitate to hop up, but Teodric's shoulders slumped as he peeked around, wary.

"Teo." I snapped at him, and Ysac extended a hand to tug him up. "No one will care that you're up here, trust me. Look at them." I sneered at those dancing, spilling their liquor all over the polished floors, dipping through the balcony doors to make out under the moonlight. They'd given me their attention during introductions, and now was their time to party; they had no interest in their queen perched atop her throne.

"None will ask why. Not that their opinion matters—I am the queen." I held in a hiccup and slugged down a few more swigs of my wine.

Teodric relented and glided to my left, as Ysac stood guard to my right.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" asked the latter, scouting through the populace, his lips barely parting to speak to me.

"Enjoying myself?" I scoffed. "I have to sit here and sulk while everyone parties. I can't leave until Sir Sym and Lady Ossenna tell me I've done enough. It's humiliating. I'd much rather go to bed, especially since I'm planning to wake early tomorrow."