♠ SEVENTEEN ♠

I will take you down.

He would, I had no doubt about it. Technically, Otho and Sinclair had more power than Sir Sym and Lady Ossenna combined, or so I assumed. Otho alone would crush them in a few quick snaps of his fingers. And surely his army of mythical nymphs lurked somewhere nearby, summoned by Luned for reinforcements. Sinclair needed no help; he was a horrible hybrid mix of two pure mages, and he sported Arden's cloak and veil. He was nearly invincible.

My advisors were weakening, their auras fizzling, their spines stiff but shaking. They wouldn't relent easily. They'd protect the kingdom with their last breath. But our foes were stronger. We couldn't win.

I had to cease the bloodshed before it started. As queen, I had to put an end to this battle, or seek a way to postpone it. I had to step up to the plate and show my strength—negotiation.

I elbowed through the soldiers, and though they protested, I raised my sword against them. "Let me pass. I am still the queen, and I wish to speak with my advisors."

"Let her through," said Sir Sym, still soaring a few feet overhead, but twisting to glance at me. His eyes were molten gold, his hair coppery in the glow of his bubble of energy.

I grimaced at him. "This is madness! Come down here!"

"No." Sir Sym returned his attention to the enemies, but I detected his snarl. "I will not. They threaten everything we hold dear, and I will not allow them to continue doing so."

"Yes, this is true, but if you hand yourself over to them, then they've won!"

My heart raced, my insides twisted into knots.

"They want you, and they'll eat you up if you attempt to battle them now! So let me give myself up! They can hold me hostage and torture me as they see fit while you recuperate. My sisters are at the castle as my legitimate heirs should anything happen to me. If these fiends want to harm me," I gulped, ignoring my earlier paralysis, "fine! I'm dispensable!"

"Majesty!" several individuals said at once, though I had no clue who spoke.

I shifted to Lady Ossenna, who was heaving her arms up before her as if to hurl an attack at Otho.

"Lady Ossenna!" She paused and craned her neck to me. "You two aren't dispensable. You're essential to the proper function of Efura. So flee, don't let them catch you! I can prolong this game, give us some time. Astrida, Tilda—they can take over for me. Because I'm replaceable."

"My queen!" I recognized a few of my soldiers. "You aren't replaceable!"

I ignored them. "You can't take them on, seriously. Think about this. It's suicide. You have no one to replace you should you die, but I do. So go!"

Sir Sym seemed hesitant as he swiveled and frowned at me. "Majesty, that is not feasible—"

"—it is, and you will let it happen!" A few strands of my inky locks lapped into my mouth and I spat them out. "You and Lady Ossenna are invaluable! I see it now. I didn't get it when Father was alive because I distrusted you, and I still do, but..."

Cringing, already regretting my words, I lowered my sword.

"You are the kingdom. Your powers maintain peace and borders, command the weather to keep us safe, control crops to keep us fed. You are what fuels our realm!"

"Majesty!" Lady Ossenna's gaze darkened and she pointed her fingers at Otho, who'd been taking advantage of our discussion to creep closer. "Do not move or I'll blast you, I will!"

"You're bluffing." Otho snarled. "Both of you. All of you, even the little queen down there."

He sucked in a breath and the fog around his body grew denser, darker, drawing from the elements surrounding us. He glared at me.