006. cassandra carver

Start from the beginning

"I don't know you."

"Then maybe we should change that." Mateo inquires.

"I'll get back to you on that." I merely nod.

"I know where to find you." He grins before walking off.

"Who is that?" Lana nudges me.

"You getting it with the new kid?" Pete gapes.

"I think that qualifies as none of your business." I nod and send a mocking grin to Clark. I then grab some books and walk over to shelf.

"When did he move here?" Lana follows me.

"A few days ago." I place the books in the shelf.

"What's his name?"

"Mateo."

"Sounds dangerous."

"You sound like Layton." I scoff.

"So, the chemistry is clearly there." Lana tells me.

"I know the guy one day."

"Do you wanna know him more?"

"Inconclusive."

"Brianna Brady, that is a false answer and you know it. You like him."

"I don't even know him."

"But you want to." Lana grins before walking off and I shake my head.

                 •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Brianna." Jonathan's soft voice makes me slowly open my eyes and I see his hand on my shoulder.

"Hi, Jon." I whisper. "Oh, sorry." I remove my arms from the table and lean back.

"No, no. Don't be sorry." He sits down.

"I cut some wood back in the barn. I came here for a drink and I...I fell asleep."

"Yeah, I figured." He chuckles, looking at my empty cup beside me.

"Is everything okay? I know I'm not the master of wood cutting like you." I pull my hoodie sleeves down.

"No, no, it's perfect. Everything you've done since got here has been great."

"Thank you, I try." I nod.

"Listen, um, I heard about Nurse Amy. I'm very sorry, Brianna."

"Yeah, she was a buzzkill, but, friendly woman."

"Are you alright? How are you holding up?"

"I didn't really know her. She just knew to collect my urine every morning. But I'm fine." I grab my empty cup and put it in the sink. "I, uh, I should get going. I have to help Layton at the Inn before work. I'll see you later, Jon." I head out of the house and squint my eyes due to the sun.

I now walk down the steps and I then stop to take out my keys from my pocket. I see Martha wave from the barn with Clark next to her. I return the action. I continue to walk and place my headphones back on my head.

I take out my iPod and shuffle through the songs.  Never Let You Go by Third Eye Blind comes on and I shove my iPod back in my pocket. I get to my car and unlock it with the keys. I head inside and put on my seatbelt. I start the car and drive off.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"It's not your fault, Lana." Clark enters with Lana, Chloe and Miles while I wipe down the counter.