xxvii.

UNEDITED

Mel:

"Mel, what's going-"

"I can't listen to this. He straight on groomed her! Just like he did to me!" I sniffed as I looked at Maya who shook her head with sadness. I felt physically sick.

Like a little girl again.

"I need you to focus on the bigger picture. We don't have to listen, but she needs you Melinda. That baby needs you so she can get her childhood back. So you can, too."

"Part of me knew better. I knew better-"

"Don't you dare say that!" Maya yelled suddenly, causing me to jump. Her voice echoed through the long hallway and I swallowed hard as she glared down at me.

"I don't care how drunk, how sober, how fast or promiscuous you were. HE was wrong because he was older! He had the upper hand and he knew it, which is exactly why he did what the fuck he did. You think ima sit here and let you blame yourself knowing I went through the same thing with a WOMAN?! Fuck no. I need you to pull your big girl pants up, sit in that court room and make sure he spends the rest of his life in prison and on the sex offender registry. Do you understand me?" She asked harshly. I blinked rapidly, jumping when she repeated herself again.

"Y-yes. Yes I understand."

"Good. One thing about me, I don't sugarcoat. I'm sorry if that was harsh, but do not sit here and blame yourself because it was him who knew better. Unless he's seriously mentally ill, he knows better, Melinda. And he's done it multiple times. Not just to you. God knows there's probably another girl out here that he's done it to."

"That's right. Hi, Melinda." I turned around and saw a face that seemed familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Do I know you?" I asked the brown skinned woman who stood in front of me. She was thin, her face narrow with a widows peak at the top.

"It's Star. Remember me?" Star asked, causing me to gasp as I covered my mouth. She was his ex girlfriend, but I was so young that the memory of the fifteen year old at the time dating the twenty year old filled my mind.

"Oh my god, Star..I thought you moved to Georgia.." I sniffed as I wrapped my arms around her. She was only around for a short time, but she was always so sweet to me while everyone else would pick on me.

"I did. I'm on your side of things. He had gotten me pregnant except I had an abortion once I moved. Let's nail this weirdo. I was only fifteen remember? He dated me while he was in college."

"I wanna punch his face in so bad.." I heard Maya grumble causing me to sigh as I wiped my face.

"This is my partner, Maya."

"Aw, so nice to meet you. I told you you were gay." Star chuckled causing me to roll my eyes as I pushed her shoulder.

"Alright..Let's go inside."

"That was so hard to watch. The way he questioned Amaya was so terrible." Amelia sighed as we walked out of the court room. The judge declared a recess until tomorrow, which is when Star and I go up to testify.

"Melinda!" I heard someone call my name. I turned around and watched as Amaya walked over to me and I smiled as she grabbed my hand.

"What's up?"

"Is..is that Amelia White?" She whispered as she pointed at Amelia. I smiled and tucked a piece of her curl behind her head.

"Yes. How do you-"