v.

UNEDITED

COMMENTS PLS

Mel:

"Someone has a secret admirer.." Mrs. White chuckled as I shut the office door. I rolled my eyes and smirked as I looked over at the glass door and saw Maya waving her hand at me with a large grin on her face.

"Oh please. She lives in my neighborhood, she's a gang banger. Not really my type." I responded back.

"And what is your type? I didn't even know you were gay-"

"I'm not gay. I'm sexually fluid. If I like you I like you."

"So you're..pan."

"I guess. Are we going out for lunch with the artists?"

"God no. I've seen enough. We can go somewhere on our own." Mrs. White responded as she grabbed her car keys. I nodded, grabbing my note pad but she sighed and grabbed it out of my hand.

"You need to unwind, sometimes. It's called a break for a reason. I always see you working through your lunch breaks which is why I said come with me today. We're going to the mall."

"Mrs White-"

"Enough with the Mrs. White. Call me Amelia or Amy I don't care, just..you need a friend. And I've been in a position where I had none until I met my wife. Just..let me. Please." Amelia begged and I sighed before nodding causing her to squeal.

"Let's go!"

"It's good right?" Amelia asked as I bit into my lamb gyro. We were in the mall's food court, her security guards blocking us from the view of others. It was comforting in a way.

"I can't believe you eat this. I thought five star restaurants were your thing-"

"Oh fucking please. I eat like a thirteen year old on marijuana. If it's good, I'm going to eat it. Though, I've cooled down a bit after having a heart attack a few years ago due to stress. Now I have to be careful, so Cass has me on a crazy diet where I can choose my own meal once a week."

"And this is it? With me?"

"Yes. I consider you a friend, not just an assistant."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and sighed when I heard a whistle causing me to jump and look over. It was Maya with her group of friends that I saw at the pizza shop. She looked different, her shirt unbuttoned and exposing her tank top. The flag was back in her pocket and I looked away quickly.

"Jesus..she's courting you at this point." Amelia laughed causing me to throw a fry at her.

"Oh please. Me? She can have anyone she wants-"

"But clearly she wants you. Why not take the chance?" Amelia asked causing me to sigh. I was tired of constantly being used for my body instead of receiving the unconditional love that I've always dreamed of.

"It..doesn't matter. We should start heading back-"

"In a rush?" My head turned around swiftly and saw Maya grinning down at me.

"I saw you today many times. I think we've had enough of each other's presence, especially considering I'll be working with you for the next few months-"

"Oh jeez, Melinda!" Amelia hissed as she slapped my arm causing me to glare at her before looking back at Maya who just grinned wider.

"Oh yeah?"

"Erm..Melinda I have to go. Can you run the office for the rest of the day for me?" Amelia asked suddenly as she stood abruptly from her chair.

"Wait- are you okay-"

"Um, um an old friend of my sisters tried to kill herself and now she's in the hospital. So Casey and I are going to go visit because we weren't on the best of terms with- oh fuck just-I gotta go okay? Thank you." She kissed my cheek and ran off with her security which left Maya and I standing there in complete shock.

"Oh..wow.." I whispered, unable to process what I was just told.

"That was heavy. Need someone to walk back with you?"

"What about your hooligans over there?" I asked blandly. She looked over at the gang of men who were fighting over French fries and scoffed while waving her hand.

"They're my brothers. They'll be fine."

Oh.

"So you're not in a gang-"

"What?! Was that your first impression of me, lady?" She asked with a loud laugh causing me to jump before chuckling awkwardly.

"I mean the flag, the-"

"The bandana that I use when I'm painting? Yeah, it was my fathers before he passed because he was in a gang. I just use it to protect my nose from the fumes when I'm using lead paint."

"Oh.." I felt dumb, but somehow relieved that she wasn't in a gang. She shook her head and started chuckling again before grabbing my hand causing me to pull it away.

"Why are you touching me?" I hissed causing her to look at me in confusion.

"I grabbed your hand, shawty. Relax. I won't do it again until you want me to."

"Who said I would?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest. She licked her lips as her eyes roamed my cleavage before looking back up to my eyes.

"That's up to you. All I know is..I found another muse." She whispered before turning around and walking away. I stared at her back before running toward her and walking quietly next to her.

"Oh wipe that smirk off your face."

"Mrs. White-I mean Amelia. Please call me back. I just want to know you're okay." I breathed into the phone before hanging up. It was after five, the last of our meetings being canceled considering she wasn't here. I couldn't do the meetings for her because I didn't have the power to make executive decisions as of yet.

So instead I filed paperwork while trying to take my mind off of Maya. After walking me to the office, she kissed my cheek and walked off without saying another word. We even stopped for coffee, sipping and walking in silence which was oddly comforting.

I had to see her everyday starting Monday in order to pick the pieces for the show casing at the gala. I wasn't nervous but I was definitely worried that things will escalate in an unprofessional manner.

I already thought she was a gang member.

My phone rang and I ripped it off the desk and answered without reading the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"I'm okay. She's okay. It's a lot to process.. but she's okay. I'll be back Monday, okay?"

"Okay, Mrs. White. As long as you're okay." We hung up and I sighed before packing up my bag when there was a knock on the door. I looked up and rolled my eyes.

"Dinner?" Maya asked as she leaned against the door.

"I don't know you. I don't even have your number-"

"You can get all of that once we sit at the dinner table."

"Fuck. Fine."