xxiii.

UNEDITED

Maya:

"Oh you're the best! You're the best!" Amelia squealed as she hugged me while jumping up and down. We were back in the office, Melinda a little bit tipsy after trying Mathew's Haitian Cremas after eating most of her food. I was so glad that she was comfortable around my family.

They were all I had left.

"You're welcome."

"I bought you some food." Melinda hiccuped as she walked over to the desk, stumbling slightly.

"Is she drunk?"

"Cremas."

"Oh I love that stuff! Casey licks it off my tits during the holidays-"

"I did not need to know that." I hissed.

"That's hot." Melinda giggled drunkenly causing Amelia to grin.

"See? She gets it."

"She's drunk. My brother got her drunk and had her dancing like a mad woman for the last hour."

"It was...fun." Melinda slurred as she slumped onto Amelia's office couch and kicked off her heels while rubbing her full stomach. Her eyes were shut and I looked at Amelia who was too busy digging into her food to pay attention. The office was pretty quiet and it concerned me considering there was an office full of people here before we left to go to the restaurant.

"Where's the rest of the staff?"

"Erm..I let them leave early. I needed some quiet time, honestly." Before I could respond, a loud snore came from Melinda causing me to turn around and chuckle.

Damn it, Mathew.

"Leave her. She works hard." Amelia chuckled before biting into her fried plantain.

"Does this mean we can leave early too?"

"Absolutely not. Grab those papers."

One day before the gala..

"Maya, where you at sexy?" Melinda yelled from downstairs. I gasped and shut the ring box before throwing it under the bed and smiling widely as she walked upstairs.

"Hey, gorgeous. Did you find a dress?"

"I definitely did, and you're not going to see it until it's time." She grinned as she sat down next to me and rubbed my shoulders.

"What happened? You look nervous."

"Nothing, just praying that my brothers don't mess anything up. Where's Avery?"

"Amelia said Selena will be watching them since the gala is tomorrow, so she's sleeping over. I dropped her off after picking her up from school. You disappeared early today, I was worried but didn't wanna pry. You alright?"

"Yeah, I had to go pick up my suit from the dry cleaners for tomorrow." I lied, hoping and praying that she didn't need to look under the bed for any reason at all.

"Mm..I'm gonna shower and get ready for my hair appointment. You wanna join me?" She asked as she started to take her clothes off.

"I'll be in there in just a second, beautiful." I winked causing her to smirk and walk into the bathroom, shutting the door. I scurried to the other side of the bed and grabbed the velvet box, making sure the large promise ring was still inside before slipping it into my sock drawer.

The day of the gala..

Melinda:

"I love these extensions! My goodness!" Amelia squealed as she admired my hair. I decided to try something new, getting a weave installed in my hair for the gallery opening. I was excited and I knew Amelia was too, both of us in the salon getting our nails done.