𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-1

The day dawned crisp and clear, with birds chirping and enjoying the cool breeze. Dew drops fell from the leaves of plants as sunlight bathed her room, prompting her to open her eyes and blink a few times.

Her eyes widened upon seeing the time; it was 8 in the morning. She had to prepare breakfast for everyone and then go to university. Due to the pain from her monthly cycle, she hadn't slept well all night, resulting in her waking up late.

She emerged from her room wearing a simple printed light blue kameez shalwar and hurriedly combed her hair, tying them in a rubber band. She draped her dupatta over her head.

Entering the kitchen, she sighed upon not seeing her aunt and retrieved the dough from the fridge to start making parathas. Meanwhile, she placed a pan on the stove for tea.

"Hogye subah! We keep them in your own house and you still act like a princess," her aunt's loud voice startled her. Composing herself, she replied politely, "Just give me 10 more minutes, Aunt."

"You and your 10 minutes! Hurry up!" Her aunt taunted and left the kitchen.

She wiped away the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes. It was a daily routine, enduring her aunt's constant taunts. Hastily preparing breakfast, she arranged it on the table.

"There's nothing else to eat? You know I am pregnant," Beenish, her cousins's wife said irritably and threw the plate of omelette on the floor, even though she had instructed her to make it the previous night.

"Can't you do one thing properly," her aunt taunted, while handing her daughter-in-law a cup of tea.

Zartasha glanced at the wall clock and realized she was running late for university. There was no point in standing there, so she headed to her room, or rather, the storeroom where she resided.

The house consisted of two rooms, a storeroom, a living area, an attached bathroom, a kitchen, and a roof. She grabbed her bag and made her way towards the bus stop, which was a ten-minute walk away.

Upon reaching the bus stop, luck was on her side as the bus was about to depart. She ran and managed to catch it. Her life had changed drastically after her parents' death. She continued her studies solely due to her aunt's insistence. Her uncle  had allowed her to pursue a bachelor's degree, albeit on a scholarship. She excelled academically and aspired to obtain a degree in English Literature.

However, she knew that once she graduated, she would no longer be permitted to study, as her aunt had made it clear that she would have to marry. Lost in her thoughts about the future, she arrived at the university. It was the last day before exams. As she looked around, she observed various groups of friends, both male and female, gathered in cafes. Some were laughing and chatting, while others were focused on studying. Most of them came from elite backgrounds.

This was her fourth and final year of her degree, but she had no friends. Her introverted nature and her appearance were the reasons behind her isolation. She remembered the first day of college when her classmates had bullied her and given her derogatory nicknames based on her appearance.

She attended her classes and, after three hours, found a spot under a tree to study for a while before her last class of the day.

In contrast, a man in his late twenties emerged from the grand staircase, dressed sharply in a black Armani Suit. Engaged in a phone conversation, he exuded an air of confidence. This man was Shahmeer Zaidi, renowned as the youngest businessman in Asia. With his tall and handsome appearance, he possessed a magnetism that left women captivated by his mere presence.

"Assalamualaikum," he greeted loudly, stowing his phone in his pocket. Shahmeer respectfully bowed before his grandparents, seeking their blessings.

"Waalaikumassalam," they all replied.

He lovingly kissed his mother's and aunt's foreheads as they entered the room from the kitchen.

Breakfast proceeded as usual, accompanied by casual conversation.

"Dad, I have a meeting at the university. I'll join you at the office later," he informed his father. Wiping his hands with a napkin, he bid farewell and departed.

As a trustee of the university, Shahmeer attended the annual meeting. Engrossed in a phone conversation, he stood in the parking area when suddenly someone collided with him. He instinctively grasped the person, abruptly ending the call. In his arms, he found himself gazing at the beautiful and innocent face of a girl.

"Sorry," her voice brought him back to reality. She swiftly retreated, in a hurry to catch her bus, oblivious to his presence.

His personal assistant, Khan, arrived at the scene and asked, "Are you alright, boss?"

Shahmeer nodded, but his attention was drawn to a card—the girl's student card.

"Zartasha Bukhari," he read aloud the name printed on the card.

"I want her information by evening," he instructed Khan, handing him a card.

Follow me on IG @wordsbynizay_