24. 𝕺𝖉𝖎𝖓'𝖘 𝕭𝖑𝖔𝖊𝖉 𝖐𝖗𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖑 𝖒𝖊𝖊𝖗.

The cold blistering wind whips around his face as the snow falls heavily down upon them

The cold blistering wind whips around his face as the snow falls heavily down upon them. He hates the fact that he had nagged so much to Max about wanting to be part of his gods that he regrets begging the viking to go today. It ended up with him and Max going through a blizzard.

Max had eventually giving in the the prince when he got the horses ready to go. If Charles hadn't thought that Max was being overdramatic about the stuff and the wolfs coming along, he would have scoffed at how Max had told Charles that they should take shelter.

But Charles had refused and didn't want to, so they were now trying to reach the lake sooner then later with Charles being a month pregnant at this moment. Which was early stages and Max was extra careful about the fact that Charles is pregnant.

The wind is to heavy to talk through, the snow is sticking to his fur and the hood that he is wearing. He had tried to stop Max from giving him his fur but the viking ignored Charles and draped his fur around Charles his shoulders. Who could only sigh and accept it.

He had been wondering for so many times how Max wouldn't get cold or freeze to death and maybe that was just down to the fact that he is a viking, probably the most stubborn viking to ever live. Which isn't something that is odd since Jos and Sophie once or twice opened the book of chiefs.

Which resulted in Charles realising that it was just a Verstappen thing to be this stubborn and to refuse to submit to the cold or the enemy. Weakness wasn't wrong or not allowed, it made them stronger that they know and understand that they have them. To know where their strengths lay.

After hours of riding through the endlessness of trees on either side of them while the snow casts down upon them. The cold had settled into his bones hours before while the viking next to him had not once given him the indication that he was cold or wet in that matter.

"We're here." Max says as he gets off his horse.

Charles looks around the clearing, finding nothing but big pine trees as tall as the skies, almost disappearing through the clouds. The clearing gives away nothing that shows Charles where the so called lake is suppose to be.

"There is nothing here?" Charles asks as Max chuckles before he walks away from Charles.

Charles watches how the viking walks over to one of the big trees and pulls away many vines, revealing a big and narrow passageway. The inside of the tree looks to be lit with many glowing mushrooms.

"This is the way?" Charles asks before Max nods.

He allows Charles to walk towards the opening in the tree trunk, waiting for Max to lead the way but the viking doesn't look to be moving an inch. No indication is given that Max is gonna lead the way down to the lake that Charles can only assume is somewhere down below.

"Aren't you gonna lead the way?" Charles asks nervous. But Max shakes his head.

"No, this is a process you need to do alone. It's a ritual you do on your own, as children you do this when you're five. You tell them to follow the blue Mushrooms down, to jump into the lake before you tell them to follow the same mushrooms back up." Max explains quickly to Charles.