Christmas in Las Almas - 2

A few drinks later, and the alcohol began to take its effect on Nosia as her and a few Vaqueros sing along to a Mexican song, Nosia slurring and butchering the lyrics, but she was careless and happy, her cheeks a deepened red as she raised her beer in the air, swaying it along with the melody.

Ghost and Alejandro simply sat back, watching her from afar.

"I see why you put her on a two-beer limit." Alejandro says with a smile.

"Had to learn that the hard way." He replies with a deadpan voice.

"She deserves this more than anyone. She went through hell and back out of pure selfless-ness. She's a pure soul."

"Still can't figure out if it's for better or worse."  Ghost says, following with a sip of beer.

Alejandro looks over to Ghost, his brow kneaded together. "Without people like her, what would we be? The empty shell of a soldier with no true perspective on life?--It's no way for a man to live."

Ghost looks to Alejandro, then back to Nosia as he sinks into the seat. "I suppose."

As the night grows on, midnight was soon to strike, Christmas day only a few minutes away. Nosia drunkenly stumbles over to her backpack, forcing her eyes to stay open as she zips it open, poking her head inside and shuffling around until finding a red envelope. She drops the bag, making way to the dark hallway, poking her head back into the room.

"Psst! Simon!" She whispers aggressively, catching Ghost's attention as he bites down into a Concha. He drops it, standing and walking her way where she snatches him into the hall. With her back against the wall and Ghost standing across her, she hides the envelope behind her back.

"So, in my country we have our traditions--Christmas is very important for family and we always open our gifts on Christmas Eve. Normally we do this one tradition called wigilia before we open gifts, but that's okay there doesn't need to be a feast, I haven't done it in years anyway--"

"Nosia." Ghost lays his hand on her shoulder, interrupting her as she babbled on, her accent thick and getting harder to understand as she lost track. "You're drunk." He says with a soft voice.

"Sorry..." She looks down, regaining her thoughts. "Oh-- what I was trying to say, is to me you are family. I value what little family I have left, and I want to show you that appreciation."

"What's this then?" He asks, stepping back nervously. She smiles, pulling out the envelope and handing it to him. He makes a double take to it and her, slowly taking it from her hand. He begins carefully ripping it open.

"I had so much trouble thinking of what to get Lieutenant Ghost as a gift--can't exactly get him a puppy, and socks are too expectable. But I thought maybe this would be perfect." She points as he takes out a small item wrapped in paper. He begins unravelling it, where inside was a silver military grade challenge coin. The UK, Mexican, and Polish flags were engraved the front, standing together in line with UK in the center, and on the other side was a skull along with his, Nosia, Alejandro, Rodolfo, Price, and Gaz's names engraved around it.

It was large and heavy, fitting almost completely within his palm, the quality nice with a clear coat laid over it for protection, sitting inside a clear case.

He looks up from it, unable to find his next words with his mouth pursed open. Nosia's expression fell serious with her large doe-eyes peering back at him, her arms behind her back with her head slightly tilted in the dark hallway.

Ghost gulped as he gripped to it in his fist, watching as Nosia's eye's fall from his down to his lips, back to his eyes. His heart began aching, his palms drenched in sweat as they stood silent for a moment. While Los Vaqueros began counting down to Christmas day, Ghost tried to speak.

"Nosia, I don't..." He laughed nervously.

His attention was drawn as everyone in the next room began cheering, when suddenly Nosia threw her arms forward, wrapping her hands around his face and pulling him down meeting her lips with his.

It was a warm, long-lasting kiss as Ghost swaddled her close in his arms. Their hearts raced against their chests as they pressed into each other, Ghost's bearing tall and broad against her small but tough frame. His hands followed down her waist, curved and billowed like the ocean until he held them over her hips, pulling her closer.

Nosia was first to pull away, Ghost nearly chasing her as she did, their lips barely an inch apart. His heart fluttered as he felt her warm breath against him, that familiar smell sparking something inside him, slowly opening his eyes.

"Merry Christmas, Simon." She whispers.