29

When Aryaan and Zarah walked into the dark hall, it was very quiet. Their footsteps made loud echoes, and they couldn't hear anyone else in the house except the birds chirping outside and leaves rustling in the breeze.

Zarah used her phone's flashlight to find the light switch on the wall and turned it on, which made the hall light up.

She was very nervous thinking about how Zoya would react; after all, she married her husband. The thoughts disturbed her as she remembered how she warned her that she would die early if she did.

Aryaan's heart raced, not out of fear of Zoya's threat to harm him if he remarried but out of concern for her well-being in her anger. He wanted to clarify to her that his marriage to Zarah wouldn't reduce his love for her because she would always hold a special place in his heart, and he would also love and care for them equally because, just like he loves her, he loves Zarah too.

"Zoya!" he called out desperately, hoping his voice would reach her wherever she was hiding.

Outside, the starry sky began to darken with unusual clouds.

"Zoya, where are you?" He shouted again, feeling completely hopeless, even though he wished she would appear on her own without him having to go and search for her.

But there was no sign that she was still in the house.

"Do you think she's gone?" Zarah asked while her eyes scanned the empty corners in search of her.

"She wouldn't leave me," he whispered, becoming drained at the mere thought. Zarah helped him to the sofa, and they both sat down.

"She can't leave. What will I tell her Aunt? She was already against the idea of me bringing her here. What will I tell her when she asks about her daughter?" He ran his fingers tiredly through his hair. A splitting headache began to crop up in it while the dark clouds outside intensified, producing strong gusts of wind that rattled the windows of the mansion. Upstairs, in an empty room, an alarm clock sat perilously close to the edge of a letter. The forceful wind blew it off, sending the letter flying outside, which eventually landed at Aryaan's feet, catching his attention. He picked it up and saw it was covered in writing, evidently from Zoya, while Zarah took it away just as he was about to read it.

"Let me," she said, meeting his gaze before turning her attention to the paper.

First of all, congratulations on your second marriage, Aryaan. Only a brave man could have the courage to do what you did. Remarrying without waiting a year after your first marriage, especially after the recent loss of your child. It takes great courage. Congratulations once again. May you and Zarah have a happy married life filled with love and prosperity. I hope you remember what I said. The day you remarry is the day our marriage becomes null and void. And it did. When you accepted her hand, it severed the ties of our relationship.

She paused when her eyes absorbed the words that followed. His headache kept intensifying, and he felt like his head was being pounded against a wall and was on the brink of breaking. Despite the pain, he urged her to continue.

I also told you I'd kill you, and then I'd kill myself rather than accept to share you with another woman. I've killed you, Aryaan. I've killed you in my heart. I'm erasing every memory you and I shared. Maybe I've failed somewhere in keeping you happy. I don't know, but if that's the case, like mature couples, we should have talked and worked it out. My aunt also bears fault in this. She warned me I'd regret marrying you, and her words came true because you've ruined my life. Both you and her share equal responsibility for my current state. She allowed another woman to enter your life while keeping me by her side. When she receives my lifeless body tomorrow, tell her to examine it closely because the heart that once beat with love for her now beats with hatred. Tell her she's the worst aunt in the world because she destroyed her own niece's home. She shouldn't bother shedding tears when she sees my corpse because it will make me more upset with her. As for Zarah, tell her that just as she ruined my life, another woman will come to inflict the same pain I endured because of her. By the time you read this letter, I'll no longer be in this world. This is my final goodbye to you, Aryaan. Let my uncle know I love only him now."

Zarah set the paper aside, and silence filled the room once more. While she felt relieved that she was leaving for good, she couldn't hide her fear. She glanced at Aryaan, who appeared equally lifeless, lost in his thoughts. Every part of him seemed to shut down—his mind, body, and heart all went on hiatus. All he could see was the radiant smile Zoya used to wear when they lived together in their apartment.

She continued to be worried due to her curse.

The book will take a new turn after this chapter. Don't forget to read and comment. Also, I've started my exams, so updates won't be frequent.