23

Zoya walked quietly with her aunt out of the hospital, not daring to look at anyone from Aryaan's family, and her uncle proceeded further in search of a taxi.

"We're leaving for Agra tomorrow because you still need rest today. We have some cash, so we'll stay in a motel for the night."

She only nodded at what her aunt said, as her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of how she was in Aryaan's house while also being at home.

"Aunt, do I have a lookalike? I mean, did Mom give birth to me as twins?" She couldn't withstand the thought as it kept bugging her, and so she shared,

"What sort of question is this? Were you really not the person who abducted him?"

"I'm not. Even if I was, where would I take him? I only know two places in Delhi."

Aryaan had his behind the trees because he wasn't at ease letting her go away, but he overheard them. He then returned in and went to his mother, finally telling her with certainty,

"My Zoya is innocent. Father is being held by someone else."

"Are you really going to dismiss the fact that she was visible on the video?" she whispered, almost completely drained with tiredness.

He was about to respond that he indeed believed she wasn't the one, but the ringing from his phone halted him, which was from Azaan.

He picked up to tell him he was busy, but he conceded with a voice of concern prior to him speaking, "How can something so serious happen, Aryaan, and you didn't deem it important to tell me? Sanam informed Zarah about your father's abduction. I'm so sorry to hear that, and I've been trying my absolute best to locate him. In fact, if you come to my office now, you'll meet my private detective trying to solve the case."

His brows got slightly crinkled at the mention of Zarah because it's been a while since he heard someone say the name.

"Aryaan, are you still there?"

"Any progress?" he inquired, because if there wasn't, he didn't see any importance in prolonging the phone call.

"We've located him." A different voice uttered, and Aryaan's face loosened with a coat of relief. He smiled and then shared it with his mother, who equally released a long sigh and laughed heartily.

"Azaan, Zarah's brother, found him. He asked me to meet him in his office immediately."

"Sure, let's go."

They went out to the car, and he speeded to Azaan's office, arriving earlier than the usual drive time. They were now in his cabin, which he was present in, along with Zarah and the detective.

"Where is he?" His mom's eyes roamed around the sumptuous office before settling on Azaan, while Zarah got up and approached her, giving her a warm smile and telling her, "Please come with me. The detective wants to discuss something with Aryaan in private." She proceeded to hold her hand, but she drew it back and said,

"Where is my husband?"

"Come silently, or else I'll force you." When her voice got raspier with seriousness in a whisper, it frightened her and compelled her to oblige.

After they left, the detective presented a file to Aryaan and confided in him, "The last page of it has your father's address."

Without trying to waste any further time, he skipped to the last page, but before he could read the address, the file was snatched back by the detective, who explained the unasked questions he read from his expression.

"There are rules. Read them first, sign them, and eventually, you'll reach the last page where your father's freedom is."

He smelled something fishy, and so, when he collected the file again and skimmed through the clauses included, which were all related to politics, the first of which was to accept to represent the party, his eyes moved to Azaan, who warmly smiled and urged him to not make any decision in haste.

There were many rules that were super easy to fulfil—all were straightforward and he made out his point that he wishes nothing in return except for permission.

"Please," Azaan said, stretching out his golden pen. He didn't give much thought to it, as winning the election was not certain, so he pressed the papers against the desk and signed them all, eventually arriving at the last page where his father's address was written.

"Don't be disappointed if we lose the election because I'm not a qualified candidate." He shrugged without bother as he returned the papers.

"Don't worry. I've seen how my father plays politics. We shall be victorious. Also, a tailor is coming to your home soon. You will be appearing for a public speech at 6 in the evening later."

••••

Zoya sighed for the numerous time, still not being able to understand how she was at home while also being with Aryaan.

Her aunt was reading a book, but she dropped it to the side and spoke up, "Did I not warn you that you'll not be happy in the marriage?" she mistook her worked up face as sadness.

Her face beamed with happiness to show her just how happy she was. "I'm happy. Had I not been happy, I wouldn't have been blessed with the child in my womb. Just that currently, the circumstances aren't in our favour." She released a long, tired sigh as, yet again, she was unsure, and then she continued, "I don't know why, but my heart is telling me not to go with you. I should stay, shouldn't I?"

"Get rid of those thoughts. You're coming with me, and that's final." The rigid look that reflected on her face gave her no room to argue, and so she sighed again, for the umpteenth time.

"I will return, though. I'm not going to stay there forever," she clarified, and she went out while thinking about meeting the sage before leaving Delhi.

••••

She arrived at the mosque, which was crowded as usual, and she tried to find him amongst the people. A radiant light coming from the window shimmered, and it drew her towards it, although, before she could stand by it and see what was behind, a woman pulled her.

She had tears in her eyes as she forewarned, "Don't go to him. There is a man who predicts people's futures behind that window, and his predictions always come true. To date, everything he said to me has happened. He told me a while back that in five minutes, my father would die, and after those five minutes, I received a call from my family telling me he had died. His words will terrify you. Let fate take its course and unravel itself. Don't listen to something you can't handle."

She respectfully smiled in response, not bothered since her parents were already dead. She thanked her, and after she disappeared into the crowd, she erased what she told her, raising her feet to check who was behind the window, while a cold, deep voice mumbled from inside.

"You can't see me."

She nodded her head, still not bothered or shaken by the woman's words as she asked, "I'm about to leave my husband for a few days. My heart is asking me not to. What is it implying?"

"The heart sees what the mind doesn't. You'll leave your husband's home and return to another man's home."

"What? What nonsense? He and I won't separate."

"You've been bound in an eternal bond that will never break."

She smiled this time, agreeing.

"The man you're about to leave is someone who loves you with his whole heart, but the man you'll return to will be someone whose heart has been divided."

She smiled briefly, choosing not to believe this one.

"Please... go on." She was still relaxed.

"What is there to say? I answered your question. Your heart saw the future, but your mind is refusing to acknowledge it."

"Okay, okay. If his heart gets divided, where will the other half go?"

"To another woman. Two women."

The calmness she came with started dripping as a sharp pain erected in her heart, which caused her to gasp loudly. "It can't be. It shouldn't be," she whispered.

"You're destined to lead a polygamous life. Indeed, and everything was written before we came into the world."

"Liar! You're lying. In fact, no one can predict the future. It's a lie. If you don't believe in something, it never comes true. Same. I'll do the same. I don't believe you." She raged angrily and walked away.

Please vote and comment.