19

Same day, in the evening.
Aryaan was at a restaurant, French-styled, waiting for Zarah, who later showed up, as usual, late. He had ordered a drink while waiting for her. As she carefully placed her glittery purse on the table and sat down, she greeted,

"Hello!"

His brows quickly reacted in surprise because, during all the sessions they've had so far, she has never greeted him first, and even if he greets her, she would never respond.

"I know my behaviour tonight will seem strange." She shrugged and smiled slowly, revealing all her white teeth to him. "My brother spoke to me. I told him you try to get too personal, which I don't like; however, he said that's your job. I'll try my best to cooperate so that we'll conclude it quickly and get it over with. I can't wait to be free from meeting you, so what answers do you want from me?" She politely asked, still smiling while offering him her attention. Indeed, she was acting weird, as he was seeing her smile for the first time, which he'd admit made her very beautiful.

Nonetheless, he responded with a happy chuckle because he was just as eager as her to terminate their sessions for good.

"I want to restore the smile on your face. Once that happens, we'll go our separate ways."

She sighed, and the smile started to fade, which he noticed as sadness overcame the glint that was in her eyes. "I'll try my best to become the old me. The way I was when Father was with me, but..." she squeezed her lips briefly, releasing a huge breath. "I don't know if I can." Her voice turned into a sad whisper.

"Why? His death didn't affect your way of living. You still live comfortably."

"It has affected my life completely. It has." She lowered her gaze, unable to stop the tears from coming in her eyes. "Life used to be so fun when he was here. We would go out every weekend and spend lots of time doing fun things, but ever since his death, Brother has never for once tried to recreate those moments or even bothered to find out in what condition I live in." She paused, hiding her face in her palms as she cried freely, while he quietly sipped from his drink, letting her have her moment because he knew if he interfered, she wouldn't be comfortable opening up. His gaze never left her for a moment, though, and after what felt like an eternity, she revealed her face again; now, her eyes had turned red, but had cleared from tears.

"Instead of you being here, it should have been him. Please don't assume he's busy; he's not." She took the words from his mouth and then continued, "He has time for everyone except me. In fact, he never asked me how I was doing after the death of our father. He only noticed when I stopped calling him, and then he concluded I had depression and hired you to treat it." She exhaled again and returned the smile to her lips. "All he cares about is that stupid work. I'll advise you not to get into politics because then your family and your wife will start to crave your attention, just like I do for him. It will consume all your time. I don't know how Father managed it, but despite his busy schedule, we still had fun. So if he could do it, why can't Brother put in the same effort for us to spend time?"

He nodded, understanding her view, while a waiter appeared and asked them if they would like to order anything.

She looked at him and smiled and said, "I'm good. I ate before coming out."

"We'll take something sweet like life is. Bring us two pineapple smoothies." Aryaan replied, which she didn't argue, and he left to get them.

"I'll speak to Azaan. I'll tell him to start coming home early."

"He doesn't come home at all. Even when Father was alive, he lived separately. God knows where he spends his nights, but I know it isn't at home. He claims he leaves early every day. Father believed that lie since he himself doesn't come home every day, but I've slept in his room countless times to check whether he does come home. He never does. I stay alone in that big house. The servants are the only people who keep me company. It may be our home, but I detest that place. First, it was a witness to my mother's death and then my father's. Also, he might have told you I've distanced myself from my friends. I find all of them fake. None of them love me because I'm me. All they're after is either to get his attention or our family's wealth."

Silence evolved between them as he thought over what crossed his mind before he finally responded, "We'll finish our session by the end of next week. From tomorrow, at five in the evening every day, I'll take you to my family. They'll fill the void of loneliness in you, and I promise you'll feel good speaking to them, especially my sister, Sanam. I know you don't know her, but she's very kind and friendly, and I trust you'll get along well. You'll see. You'll be like you were before and make new friends—real friends who will stand by you through thick and thin. Everything will pass." He proceeded to hold her hands, which she quickly drew back as she saw. His intention was to reassure her that everything would be fine.

"Can I leave? I'm tired."

"You can, after having the smoothie."