8

Behind every incident that happens in life hides an untold story.

~Author

Delhi, India
Zoya hid one box of laddoo inside her dupatta because the first one left her craving for more. It was very delicious, soft, and full-flavoured.

Inside the mosque, the sage was still discussing with Aryaan's parents.

"Two years ago, that poor girl's parents died because of me. I still remember the ugly day. My view was blurry due to the heavy rain. Their tricycle was leading us to their house because we had plans to have dinner there. My wife and I visited Agra after many years, and we were all so happy until the brakes of my car failed." Aryaan's father paused. He looked traumatised as he gesticulated with his finger. "I still remember. The tricycle, my car flipped it upside down with them inside," he cried. Aryaan's mother rubbed his back while he continued in a teary voice. "I wanted to stop. I swear I wanted to, but the car didn't stop. After leaving my friend and his wife in a terrible state, I know they must have been disappointed with me because they'd think I ran away out of cowardice, but no. The car wasn't stopping, and at that time, we were on a highway with no one on the road. Even so, we lost hope. We thought we'd die. I even released the wheel even after my wife told me not to. I was devastated because I couldn't save my friend and his wife. Our car stopped after one of the tyres went into a pit. We ran back to the scene after getting that opportunity, but then we found no one in the tricycle. It was when I called Zoya's aunt that we found out the terrible news. I still curse myself for that terrible day. My eyesight failed me. It failed me. I had to fast for 120 days because I killed two innocent people. Maybe the Almighty won't even accept my repentance."

"What are you saying? In sha Allah, you've been forgiven. Keep asking Him for forgiveness, and the sin will be erased," the sage told him. "But I don't understand the reason you're telling me this," he pointed out.

"Well," Aryaan's mother said nervously. "It was my idea, but I strongly believe it is the right thing to do. We want to get our eldest son, Aryaan, married to Zoya after she completes her studies. We're hoping after a year or even two years, just like you said."

"MashaAllah!" the sage cheerily responded. "I already informed you about Aryaan having a bright future. According to what I saw in both their futures, if they marry each other, it will be bliss in dunya. The marriage will be fruitful. Your son will become a famous and rich man in India, as their relationship won't be ordinary. They may hail from middle-class backgrounds currently, but once they tie the knot, happiness will flourish and sweep over you. It won't only be with them, but will also be shared with both families."

"Did I not tell you my decision is right? You'll repent and also benefit." Aryaan's mother delightedly informed her husband with a smile reflecting in her eyes. He was also happy to hear the happy news, but he doesn't have the intention of getting them married because of it. He agreed only so that Zoya would forgive him when she eventually finds out his car was responsible for her parent's accident.

"Honestly, I have never witnessed such a match in my life. It was made in heaven. Her presence in your son's life will uplift him from the ground to the highest table. May they remain happy because the darkness I informed her about earlier may blacken her good side. She will uplift him financially, but darkness can ruin her and him if care isn't taken. Not in financial status. It can affect their brain. It can end them." His face turned serious, while the smile on his mother's face faded slowly with questions in her mind.

"I have other families to attend to, so I have to go. But try and sit down with the girl. What's her name again? Zoya. I'll send a du'a to your house later tonight. Tell her to recite it every morning until the day her wedding with your son takes place. By God's will, the darkness will be replaced by shining light."

Outside, Zoya didn't know Aryaan was following her all the way outside. When she reached there, she brought her packet of laddoos and opened them, looking at the nine mouth-watering sweets with a starry peek before she started to devour them.

On the other hand, he was irked by her behaviour. He understood her for eating the other, but the whole packet? "She doesn't even understand that things meant for charitable purposes aren't meant to be consumed by the distributors." How she was eating lacked manners. She wasn't chewing like a lady, as he could hear her sound from where he stood.

He approached her angrily and grabbed her hand, while she slowly swallowed the last piece and stared at him with bewildered eyes because she didn't know he was there.

"Why did you do that?" He charged with anger, and him being so close to her, his loud voice made her to shiver.

"Do what?" She muttered, while her lips started to tremble as her stomach was going nuts because she needed to excrete immediately. She couldn't hold it anymore. Her legs were shaking, and he thought she was doing so just to piss him off.

"Stand straight." His commanding tone forced her to obey him, even though she started chewing on her trembling lips.

"Can I go?" she managed to gather words and ask him.

"Are you normal? I mean, are you okay?" He scrutinised her.

"I need to excrete," she said without shame, since he also does it. He immediately released her hand while her eyes scanned the neighbourhood, and she ran into the only house there.

"How can she?" He was amazed because such topics are never discussed publicly, even with your family.

•••

"Where is Zoya? We're leaving. This time, since it isn't raining, you go with Ahil. Zoya will come with us, and your father will drive." Aryaan's mom uttered.

"She went inside this house to use the bathroom. It's been twenty minutes. I wonder what's keeping her." he replied.

"What?" A woman behind them exclaimed, which made them all turn, and they stared at her with confused expressions.

"Did a woman go into that house alone?"

"Yes, so?" Aryaan asked.

"Goons live in there. It's a trap. Whoever enters doesn't come out. They sell out the people that go in to get money to buy illegal substances. I'm sorry to say, but the person that went in has left forever." She said and walked away.

"Zoya!" His mom called out in a whisper and went down as her legs became weak to carry her weight.

"Go and check whose house it is."

Aryaan did as his dad asked him to, with Ahil by his side. When they entered the compound, there was no building except a vacant field full of weeds.

"Zoya!" They hollered her name in panic, both of them scared to lose her. They exchanged a worried glance and again chorused her name.

"Zoya!"

Aryaan wanted to find her because she left her town and went to their home, which made her their responsibility, so unless they send her back home safe and sound, they would be accountable for anything that would happen to her.

He saw her dupatta lying on the ground, and it made his heart skip a bit. As he loomed near, he saw her lying unconscious with a snake bite on her foot.

"Z...zz...I..fat...mot....." Ahil ran out while Aryaan became numb as he stared at her body. He wondered if she was still alive or if she was already dead while contemplating whether to suck out the poison or wait until his parents reached there. He knew every second was crucial, so if he wastes time, it might spread all over her body, and then he may be late. Then he'll never forgive himself.

He checked her pulse, which was still beating, before he calmed down and sat down near her, leaning forward and putting his lips on the soft skin on her foot. He sucked and sucked out the blood mixed with poison until his head began to spin while spitting it out, repeating the same procedure continuously.

"Aryaan!" he heard his mother's scream.

"Z..zoy....Zoya!" He mumbled her name and fell beside her, and darkness took over his world.

"Aryaan!" All of them screamed and went to him; no one tending to Zoya.

"I'll...." Ahil panicked and went out to look for a doctor or herbalist.

"Zoya!" Aryaan's father went over to her.

"Our son. Why did he do that? Why didn't he wait for us?" His mom cried.