13

Zoya bedecked herself in an embroidered green kurta with matching earrings. Whereas in Delhi, Aryaan also donned a red-printed flower kurta. His hair was perfectly trimmed in perfect order, along with his beard.

He and Zoya were very excited for the first introduction their family would have to each other. For her, it was going to be a memorable day. She was grinning from ear to ear, making sure everything would go well. She has been in the kitchen with her aunt to ensure nothing goes wrong with the food.

"I hope that grin never disappears from your face," her aunt sadly retorted because she had tried everything to avoid the family introduction from happening, but Zoya remained persistent in inviting them.

"Why won't it? It's not like I'm going to have an arranged marriage where the man and I have never met each other. I know Aryaan. I've been to his house once. He saved me from the snake bite. He made me overcome the fear of rain. Everything will go fine by God's grace. I know I'll enjoy living with him more than living here. I won't have to worry about not making a mistake to avoid being punished. He'll accept me with all my imperfections." She responded happily. Her eyes were glinting with joy. She had also decided not to be bothered any longer by her aunt's opinion regarding the relationship because she tried her best to convince her that Aryaan loves her a lot, but she just wouldn't give in and accept him.

"May your confidence remain intact."

"It will because he loves me."

"He doesn't love you. Saving you from a snake bite isn't love. Helping you overcome your fear is his job. Does every woman he helps fall in love with him? If yes, then it is a huge problem, and you, who want to be his wife, will be left to suffer. Leave these psychiatrists. Their work field never lets them do justice to their wives. They're sympathetic." She told her, and then left the kitchen abruptly. Zoya's eyes fell on the paratha she left on the stove. She groaned agitatedly.

"What worst can happen if I marry without my your consent, Aunt?" She mumbled while the paratha on the stove burned black without her notice.

••••

Aryaan's family's car parked over in front of Zoya's residence. They all got out—his brother, father, and him—but they couldn't bring his mother or Sanam because women are never included in wedding discussions. Zoya's uncle had already come out when he heard the car's horn. They reached him while he remained at the entrance. Aryaan being the groom, a rather excited groom went over and hugged him as a sign of respect. Although his intentions were pure, and he did that only to make a good impression on her uncle, the smile on his face disappeared. He felt he was demeaned because his daughter's suitor should never hug him without getting an official acceptance from him that he had agreed with him.

His father, after Aryaan moved back, greeted Zoya's uncle.

"Please come in." Aryaan's gesture made him lose enthusiasm about the whole thing. He told them with a blank expression and went in. They followed him, and they arrived in the neatly furnished living room, where they all sat down.

Ahil's eyes scoured in search of Zoya around the corners of the room. He had been wanting to share something with her for a long time, but he had never found the courage to do so. After so long, he decided to tell her.

"As you know, the reason we're here..." Aryaan's father began, while Zoya's uncle cut through.

"Before anything, I will like to ask how your son will keep my daughter happy after marriage." He looked at Aryaan.

Aryaan's palms became sweaty as he gained cold feet. He replied nervously. "I'm a psychiatrist. I work in a private hospital, but they pay a lot." He inhaled a deep breath to calm down before he continued. "I'll try my absolute best to keep Zoya happy."

Zoya hid behind the curtain that separated the living room from the kitchen and listened to the conversation. She blushed excitedly until she thought of what happened with the paratha when she asked what could happen if she married without her aunt's approval. That wiped her smile away.

"I'm being superstitious. What can really happen if I do? Uncle supports me. That's the only thing that matters." She mumbled, refusing to let anything change her decision, though, at that very instant, she started feeling anxious, with her heart beating rapidly.

"No! I'm not going to rethink anything." She sighed and went back into the kitchen. She picked up her phone from the small stool and opened WhatsApp to check Aryaan's chat, scrolling up to find something that would assure her she was not making a mistake by accepting his alliance. The poem he sent her two months ago always convinced her that, no matter what, she and he would never separate in this lifetime.

"Zoya, my smile, my breath, my stars, my cloud, my rain, my source of peace, my precious gem, my moonlight, my inspiration—I hope you have the greatest of mornings. I always include us in my salaah, asking God to keep us together forever. I'll advise you to do the same. I'm heading to work. Goodbye."

She released a sigh to clear the tension growing in her head. This time, the message didn't work. Whenever she used to get stressed before, reading that specific message calmed her like the sweetness of chocolate, but today, it didn't.

"Zoya! Bring the food!" her uncle yelled from the living room. She clutched the tray's hand, which her aunt had assembled all the food on. As she took steps towards the door, the little energy in her body started draining out. Her hands trembled, and the coolers on the tray kept moving from their original position. She moved the curtain with her arm, lowering her head to face the ground, before she went in.

Aryaan's head was also bowed down because he was nervous for the first time to meet her eyes. So was she. She silently walked to the table and carefully dropped the tray.

"Zoya!" came his father's voice just as she turned to leave because she was too shy to stay. She exhaled a long sigh quietly before she turned, her eyes still fixed on the floor, and then she smiled.

"Good afternoon, Uncle,"

Aryaan closed his eyes upon hearing her voice, which made it more impossible to fight the urge to look at her in front of her uncle since it was improper, but knowing she was around, he couldn't control himself. He peeked his eyes open, stealthily capturing her in one frame. As always, he found her looking like a masterpiece. More beautiful than the moon. Feeling eyes on her, she shifted her gaze from the ground to him, and they shared an eye-lock. Before he could say anything as she saw his lips part, she concluded the greetings with his father and rushed back in.

"Excuse me, Father. If there's no problem, can I speak to Zoya quickly?" Ahil inquired and he received a nod from her uncle. He got up and left.

She turned and saw him standing before her by the door.

"Ahil!" she welcomed him with her bright smile.

"Zoya!" he replied as he approached her while having a tensed face because something was eating him up inside.

"Ever since I met you, I considered you my sister because you and Sanam were the same age. Before Father finishes the discussion going on outside, I need to tell you something."

She nodded, her eyes asking him to proceed.

"Before I continue, I want you to answer my question honestly. Do you really love Aryaan?"

"Of course I do," she blushed.

"If you are asked to choose between your parents and him, who will you choose?"

"My parents are dead, Ahil."

"I know. But if you're asked to choose..."

"Family comes first. They do, but before myself, Aryaan comes next." She answered.

Her response confirmed that she would back out of the alliance the moment she learned what he knew, so he changed his mind because he didn't want to be the reason his brother loses his happiness.

"So what were you going to tell me?" She smiled warmly. He shook his head in response and went back in.

"What happened to him?" She shrugged her arms.

****

In Delhi, Aryaan's mother summoned the sage.

"It completely skipped my mind to give that du'a years ago. You're already discussing the wedding, whereas the darkness in her is blooming more every day. I guess that's what is meant to happen." The sage spoke amidst the silence in the living room, where only he and Aryaan's mother were present.

"So there is nothing we can do?" She asked in a petrified voice.

"Don't stress out. We'll see how things are after she gets married. If things become messy, then I will step in. I'll try to work out a way, but make sure you tell her the truth about her parent's death the day she marries, or else you'll never be able to wash out the hatred she'll have for you all."

"Yes! I will. I won't forget."

•••••

Days flew by. Months soared in the blink of an eye. Preparations happened, and soon the day arrived. The grand Nikkah. With everyone wearing happy smiles, colourful outfits, and different delicacies organised on the long L-shaped table, everyone enjoyed themselves. Zoya, who was eager for her wedding day, slipped into her magnificent wedding attire. Her family travelled to Delhi because that was the venue where Aryaan's family decided to hold the Nikkah. Her hands were designed with small patterned red henna, while her face was covered with a heavy dupatta. She was held by her aunt, and they began walking into the glorious mosque's hall.

"Have you seen the weather outside today?" her aunt whispered softly.

"What happened with it?"

"It's a sign. A sign you shouldn't go ahead with this marriage. It's very sunny today. It's been ages since such a sun as hot as a volcano appeared. Moreover, Nikkahs are never held on Thursdays. Today is inauspicious. If you go ahead with the marriage today, there is a high possibility you may never be happy."

Zoya rolled her eyes, dismissing her serious warning, but instead became more eager to utter those two words, "I do," quickly.

Nevertheless, indeed, there was scorching heat.

She was made to sit on the chair, and in front of her was a thick curtain that stood tall. As she closed her eyes to gather courage because she was very nervous, flashy memories of the dream she had about her husband played in her head. But this time, light flashed on his face, and he turned out to be Aryaan.

She gasped loudly while panting and opening her eyes. She also recalled what happened with the paratha when she asked what worst could happen if she married him without her aunt's consent.

I want to know who is here from Booknet and who isn't.

Don't forget to still engage by commenting and voting.

And in case you're here from booknet, I'd like to clarify I may change some things in some chapters.

Let me share a little secret🙈. I still have booknet till date on my phone with hope that one day, they may return the English version. I find it more user friendly than wattpad actually.

Also, they say love is blind. Of course, when we're in love, we don't listen to anything someone says against our partner. Zoya, like every other girl is doing that.

Again, don't forget to drop a comment and vote. Thanks 🎊🎊