25

Days flew by swiftly, like a racing timer. In Delhi, Zarah and Aryaan shared a loud grumble of laughter over a joke she made, both of them finding solace and comfort in each other's company since Zoya's departure. Zarah had become his confidante, who was the only person that got him to forget his pain. As they calmed down, she reminded him of the Election Day, expressing confidence in their victory since her brother worked day in and out for it.

"I also believe we'll be victorious." he remarked.

"And tomorrow, I'll specially choose your outfit. You'll hear the good news in what I chose," she said.

"I have a better idea. You should be by my side when the results are announced," he replied.

"Better idea. We can also wear matching outfits; after all, I deserve it since I prepared all your speeches," she excitedly suggested, to which he agreed.

••••

The next day, Aryaan's entire family had gathered to watch the live broadcast of the election results. In Azaan's office, he was holding a bottle of champagne, eagerly awaiting the final results to be declared. He was also watching the live broadcast on television.

Meanwhile, Aryaan's nerves were on edge as he silently prayed for victory, because he wanted to fulfill the promise and expectations he gave to the people and also secure a bright future for his unborn child.

In Agra, Zoya was gripped by a sudden, agonising pain in her stomach, prompting her to release a desperate, slow yell for help as she struggled to cope with the intensity of the pain.

Back in Delhi, tension continued to mount in Azaan's office as he awaited the outcome of the election. When Aryaan's phone finally rang from Azaan, his breathing seized, but Zarah kept a motivating hand on his shoulder and said,

"It's good news," she guaranteed, though she was also not certain, but still, she tried to give him hope amidst the uncertainty.

However, despite her attempt to placate the tension, when he answered the call and Azaan refused to say a thing, the silence cast a shadow of doubt over the room, leaving them all on edge as they awaited him to speak.

"It went to someone else," he remarked at last, with a disappointed tone, while his phone rang inside his pocket. He took it out and answered his mother's call. Her excited voice congratulated him.

"We saw it. You've become the chief minister!" she cheerfully exclaimed. He had to move the phone away from his ear for a moment as his siblings joined her. He also laughed, sharing the good news with Zarah, who joined him in his laughter.

"We'll celebrate grandly," she giggled delightedly.

"Aunt ruined my plan." Azaan's voice echoed from the other phone, and he then responded to his sister, "A lavish celebration, but that will be tomorrow when he'll be declared in his office."

••••

Zoya's scream pierced the air, and her face glistened with sweat. The gynaecologist urged her to push harder, pointing out that the baby's birth depended on it.

"Has my aunt informed Aryaan? Tell him I'll die if he doesn't come," she pleaded, clutching the bedsheet tighter.

"Ask Aunt to call my husband," she repeated as the pain became unbearable. She feared she might not make it out of the room alive, so she wanted to see him one last time to make him promise he would take good care of the child.

••••

A day later,
After the ceremonial inauguration, the people proceeded to welcome Aryaan into his new office. Everything felt surreal for him. He was very happy, feeling like he was on top of the world—or rather, on top of the sky. His joy surpassed measure because he never dreamed God would uplift him so high in one day, but indeed, nothing was impossible for him.

After someone passed him scissors, he cut through the ribbon in front of the skyscraper. The security man then opened the door, ushering them all inside. As they entered, the people within greeted him by showering him with petals. Walking down the hallway, the faces of individuals he normally sees in newspapers stood in cubicles, all of them smiling at him while he passed. Finally, at the end of the maze of offices, he stood before his own that was distinguished by his nameplate adorning the door.