1

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A storm either brings happiness or destruction to someone's life. A person who hates rain probably doesn't exist in the world except for her. She was also not like that, but growing up and losing everything due to one rainy day brought intense hatred into her heart for it. Two years have passed since that accident, but each time it pours, she remembers how her parents were taken away by it. The memory of that ugly day becomes fresh in her head. She watches when people enjoys it, but for her, she locks herself away in a dark room until it stops.

"Zoya!" she heard her aunt calling her name with a yell. She knew she had made another mistake. You can never please someone who doesn't want to be pleased.

She chuckled at her thought, walking through the short hallway. She arrived in the living room, where her aunt, uncle, and an unfamiliar man who looked more like a scholar because he had a long beard sat. There was a tray of tea on the table for them to enjoy, and some biscuits. The man scanned her from head to toe while she fidgeted with her hands, getting uncomfortable under his stare.

"MashaAllah. She has grown into a beautiful woman." The scholar her mind named remarked: She forced a smile on her face that revealed she didn't like his compliment because whenever men like him compliment someone, it has to be because they want something. Either one, they have a son they want to hook you up with, or they're looking for something from your father. In her case, since her father isn't alive, her uncle would take his place.

"Greet him." Her aunt passed her a glare, mumbling with gritted teeth. Her aunt is a no-nonsense person. When she asks you to do something, you better do it without wasting time, or else you'll face consequences. She beats. She has a cane Zoya is scared of because it has three mouths. Whenever she whips your hand with it, it must turn red. Even her kids are scared of it, but when it is time for jokes, that is, when you don't make mistakes for an entire week and the family time comes, she'll laugh and show you so much love. However, if you disobey her or do something wrong before the family time, you'll receive lots of beatings on that day that will make your palm turn red and ache till the next family time.

"Assalamu Alaikum." Zoya responded in a cheerful tone, greeting the man. She didn't want to earn her aunt's anger.

"Wa'alaikumussalaam. She doesn't recognise me. Introduce us." The man answered and chuckled hoarsely. His laugh tickled Zoya. She has this bad habit of laughing out loud when she sees a person crying, smiling, grinning, or chuckling. Others call her mad, most especially her cousins, but she just can't help it. When a person laughs, she observes his expression, which changes. Whenever she does that, something inside her tickles, and she ends up laughing with them.

Here as well, she laughed out, receiving a weird look from him.

"He is your father's friend," her aunt replied.

Mentioning her father's name gained him respect in her heart. She lowered her gaze to the ground, greeting him again with utmost respect.

"Thank you," she heard him say with love flowing from his voice. She didn't know if it was her mind imagining him saying it with love or if he did say it with it, but she knew one thing. Being her father's friend has automatically made him her uncle.

"Your father used to be a good man. May his soul rest in peace." She enthusiastically listened to the praises he sang. That earned him more and more respect, because the only way to make her like you is by commending her parents. She enjoys listening to it. She doesn't mind keeping everything aside, even important work, if you'll discuss her deceased parents with her. She loves them more than anything in the world.

"Come to my house sometime. I'd love to introduce you to my family," he said.

"InshaAllah. I'll drop by sometime." She replied. She recalled that she was there because of her aunt, and so she asked her the reason she called for her.

Her aunt got up from her chair, moving closer to her. Her heart paced with fear because she didn't look quite happy. She was certain she had made some mistake.

She grabbed her by the arm and took her into the kitchen. That was the place she always kept her cane. Sweat formed on her face, and she apologised before she even told her about the mistake she committed.

"I'm sorry. I bought a ladoo with your change. I lied to you when I said the shopkeeper didn't give me change. I was craving something sweet. Please don't beat me with that cane. Please. I'm sorry." She whispered making an innocent face that could melt anyone, but her aunt didn't give in to it. She has a rule that every mistake must be punished.

She opened the cabinet, taking out the cane with three mouths.

"No, no. We have a guest at home. What will he think?" Zoya took steps back while her aunt continued to approach her. Zoya, in her place, was lucky for one thing. She can run faster than her aunt. When she is in the mood to save herself, even if a tiger is asked to catch her, he won't succeed. She runs fast and swift.

"No. Please! I told you the truth. I'm an adult. This is wrong. I have the right to report you to the police. You're torturing me."

Her aunt chuckled before she responded with a daring voice, "Please do. I'd love to see which police officer will stop me from disciplining my child." Her dupatta fell to the ground amidst her speaking, and she bent. Zoya seized the opportunity and ran out. She went into the living room, going behind the guest's back because at that moment, he was her protective shield.

Her aunt came out, hiding the cane behind her back while wearing a smile so as not to give the wrong impression to the guest.

"What is it, my dear? I can hear your breathing from here. Is everything alright?" Her father's friend asked, tilting his head in her direction.

To save herself from her aunt, she blurted out the truth. She knows that if someone intervenes, maybe she won't hit her. For her uncle, even he is scared of her. If she complains to him, he won't be able to stop his wife. Who knows if she also beats him when they're alone at home? "Uncle, Aunt gave me money in the morning to buy vegetables. On my way home, I saw attractive ladoos shining more brightly than the sun. They looked yummy. I couldn't stop myself. I had no money except Aunt's change. God knows how she found out, but she did, and now she wants to punish me."

He laughed because of her story. It took him back in time to when her father used to buy ladoo and enjoy it without sharing it with him. Sad and happy tears filled his eyes because his daughter inherited all his habits. Not only habits but looks as well.

Zoya wore an apologetic look and apologised to him when she saw the tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry if you want to cry because of what I said."

Her aunt ran towards her, and she ran as well. They climbed on the empty sofa, got down, went to her room, and came out while the guest and her uncle kept laughing uncontrollably.

They returned to the living room. Zoya went to the guest, holding his hand.

"Please save me from this punishment," her eyes flash her innocence while she pants.

"Let her be, please. You've already punished her by making her go around the house. I'll settle the money she spent."

Hearing that, she heaved a sigh of relief while her aunt replied.

"No. Let it be. Since you're asking for it, I won't beat her."

Zoya knew it was a lie. Her aunt never backs out when she's about to do something. She is just waiting for the new uncle to leave so that she'll give her a double punishment. The first for spending her money, and the other for revealing the truth to him.

"I'll take your leave. God be with you." He got up. She reached for his hand, pulling it down. He looked at her eyes, which looked soft, and she mumbled.

"Please take me with you for the weekend. If I stay here today, my aunt will give me double punishment."

"What are you telling him?" her aunt asked, sending her a cold look.

"Nothing. I'm wondering if Zoya can come home with me for the weekend," he replied.

Zoya respected the man more. She smiled and answered in place of her Aunt.

"Why not? It's Saturday tomorrow. There is nothing to do here," she said.

"She can't. You have sons." Her aunt spoke as always in a friendly and soft voice to try and change his mind so that when she'll punish Zoya, she'll punish her severely. But she knows everything about her. She was determined to escape that punishment today. Her palms still ache due to the beating she received two days ago. She couldn't afford to be in such a situation again.

"I have a female daughter too. Don't worry. I won't let her interact with the opposite gender," he replied.

Hey! Do vote and comment. Thank you!