Chapter 7

"I don't know what to wear!" I yelled, throwing myself on my bed as Wendy invaded my closet.

"It doesn't matter what you wear, you won't be wearing it to impress Liam!" She said, straightfaced.

"You're not helping, Wendy."

"I'm just joking lovey, tonight you'll forget about everything! We're gonna have some fun!" She assured me.

"Fun sucks. My whole life is depressing! I don't even have clothes!" I mumbled, lying on my stomach, my face facing my duvet.

"Oh stop feeling sorry for yourself! You don't have the right!...You broke Liam's heart, not the other way around! " she said.

"I know, but that's why I feel like such a crappy person."

"You are a crappy person, but it's not your fault...it's HIS. So don't stress about it."

I liked the fact that Wendy was honest with me. She's right though, I couldn't help the person I had become. I couldn't just stop doing what I was doing, it was like second nature to me. I was used to this, and I couldn't stop no matter how hard I tried.

"Fine. What do you think I should wear?" I asked her, hoping this party would cheer me up.

"The dress." She winked.

I got up from my bed, and walked over to my closet. I searched inside, and finally pulled out 'the dress'. It was a short red sleeveless dress, that came in at the waist and stuck out again. It was my favorite dress.

"And what are you wearing?" I asked Wendy, waggling my eyebrows.

"Oh, it's a surprise." She said, winking at me.

Even though Wendy could get any guy she wanted to, she wasn't interested enough to give them the littlest amount of attention. She just went with the flow.

I took off my clothes and slipped into my dress, loving the way it felt on my body. I looked into the mirror.
Tonight I was going to forget everything.

*

We were in my car on our way to Ashley's house. She was one of the richest girls in our school, she lived in a mansion on the beach shore. We barely knew her, she just threw parties and invited everyone, so we came. There were a lot of people we knew, and it was always nice to loosen up and forget things once in a while.

We drove into her driveway, pulling up to huge peach colored mansion, pillars surrounding the entrance and lots of other cars parked out. Her parents were barely home, which led her to throw a party almost every second weekend. We stepped out of the car, and I whistled at Wendy who wore a tight fitting dangerous leather black dress.

"Oh, stop it! You're making me blush!" She laughed.

We walked inside, and the bustle hit us. People everywhere, music playing, the lighting dim and the whole place literally buzzed with excitement.

"Im hungry!" I told Wendy, leading her to the kitchen. We sat down at the mini bar they had built into the kitchen and helped ourself to the snacks there. I ate.

"Layla, you have a bad habit of stuffing your face when you're nervous. What's wrong? Wendy asked me.

"I saw Liam in the lounge." I told her, stuffing my face with chips.

"Dude, stop it."

"Look, I really don't love him, I'm happy we're not together! I'm only bothered that he thinks I still want him...the look he gave me was me where he expected me to go apologize to him or something. And he sent me a text saying "we have unfinished business". I can't deal with that type of thing." I told Wendy.

"Look, just find a way to make him know it's over, forever."

"I will. But for now let's have fun!" I told Wendy and dragged her over to the hall where we danced til our bodies ached. We arrived at this party at 8pm and it was now 11pm, we had been dancing for almost the whole time we had arrived, taking breaks to play a few games in between with a few crazy people. By the time I got outside to look at the pool, I was exhausted and had a huge smile on my face. I was so relaxed and happy, I felt like I didn't have a care in the world. And I honestly didn't care, I didn't care about anything. I had given up on trying to be a better person, I was too broken. I was hopeless, and when you're hopeless, you don't care.

I sat on the edge of the pool, and dipped my legs inside. There were a few other people outside, including Liam, but so what? If he sat next to me, I'd just get up and come back later.

I gazed into the water which looked so beautiful, until I felt someone sit next to me.

If it was Liam, I was going to dive into the pool in my dress until he left. I swear!

I turned over to face...Alex! Thank goodness! Alex was in my grade, he had sandy blonde hair and blue eyes, a typical cutie. He was a smart guy, basically the type of guy who your mom would love for you to bring home, and the type of guy all the girls would swoon over.

He looked so similar to Channing Tatum! I thought, as I admired his face. Gosh, he was beautiful.

"Hey." He said to me.

"Hey yourself." I told him back.

He laughed. "You look beautiful tonight, Layla! I'm sorry if I'm imposing, but I just had to compliment you." He said, smiling adorably.

"You look very handsome too, Alex." I said, truthfully. He looked at me and smiled.

I wonder if...?

I turned around, and saw Liam staring at me with wide eyes.

This was it.

This would make Liam give up on me forever, but it'd also make him hate me forever.

'Layla, you're a bitch...'was the last thought that entered my mind when I leaned in and kissed Alex so Liam could see.

*

I'll admit, I did feel numb while I kissed Alex while Liam watched us. I blocked out all emotion.

When I pulled away, Liam had gone away, and Alex looked at me in shock. What? He had kissed me back. Or was that in my imagination? I looked at Alex, expecting him to say something.

"That was weird." He said, looking down.

"What's wrong??" I asked. He did want me to kiss him, otherwise why would he have come??

"Should I have not kissed you?" I asked, shocked.

"No, I wanted you to...just...just not like that." He said.

How did I kiss him? What did he mean!?

"What do you mean?" I asked him, searching his expression for a clue. He looked confused.

"Nevermind, it's super weird!" He told me.

"Come on Alex, I won't judge you, just tell me." I asked him, solemnly.

"Okay,fine. When you kissed me, it was just as if...it was as if you were kissing someone else. You...you kept on saying 'Trey'....