Chapter 6 - The Night

Start from the beginning

Kalindi just listened to her mother quietly as she always does. Kalindi was never a person who was in a dilemma but this question of having a child put her into a dilemma.  She does want to have a child of her own but not as a means for holding up a position.  On the other hand, she doesn't want to have a child with the person who will remain a stranger forever.  When she was thinking about all this, her mother's voice pulled her out of the trance. Her mother said, "Since you children had lessons on the art of seduction as part of your royal education, I don't have to brief on that part I believe".  Kalindi masked her surprise quickly as she heard her mother's subtle teasing. But she didn't feel anything else like a normal bride would have felt. There was no blushing or even a shy smile, as she felt that there is nothing to feel shy or nervous about this.  May be it's because there is no feelings involved between the couple, not even a simple greeting.  So Kalindi gave her usual practised smile, to her mother as a reply to her teasing. Then her mother guided her towards the wedding chamber where Yuvraj Abhyuday was waiting for her. Or is he?

(From Afternoon to night in Abhyuday's chamber)

As for Abhyuday, the afternoon went by checking some updates from his friend Parth and also his trusted head soldier.  Once the official discussions are over, Abhyuday just laid down on the couch and Parth simply sat beside him on a chair.  After a few moments Parth looked at his friend who was relaxing with his eyes closed and said, "Yesterday I was roaming around the palace as part of security check and came across a garden.  You know what's the unique part?".   On receiving no answer from Abhyuday, Parth continued, "There was a shaded garden as well. And also, the one who created that garden was none other than your wife, which is my bhabhi (sister-in-law)".  Abhyuday still didn't open his eyes or acknowledge his friend, so Parth said, "Since you are not acknowledging me, I will acknowledge it myself.  I know that you are listening and this is not the first time this is happening".  After that the room fell into silence and then Parth said that he is getting bored but still didn't leave the place.  Then after a few moments, Abhyuday asked, "Your mother complained to me, before we departed from Rakshatra, that you are not giving a positive answer to any prospective bride they are showing to you? Is there something I'm missing?".  Parth was embarassed due to his mother's actions and said while stuttering, "No Yuvraj, there is nothing you are missing. I don't like anyone else".  Abhyuday opened his eyes and said, "I didn't say that you like someone else".  Parth  stuttered more and couldn't find an excuse, so he immediately excused himself for some work and went away.  Abhyuday felt amused at his actions as this is the first time he is seeing his friend running away from him.  His lips quirked up slightly and thats the maximum expression he could give. The evening went by quickly and Abhyuday was called for dinner by King Udayan. After dinner, he went back to the chamber he was resting in.

The room was decorated with flowers in the meantime when Abhyuday was away for dinner.  Abhyuday looked at the decorations and moved towards the balcony that overlooked the forest, similar to the balcony in his own wing in Rakshatra. While he was looking at the deep forest, he heard the door open and close after a few seconds.  After that, sound of anklets followed and the sound stopped at some distance from him.  He turned around and looked at her who was looking down at the floor.  Kalindi was just following what she was taught by her mother to do after getting inside the room.  He came near her which made her nervous for the first time as she doesn't know whether she wants it or not. But suddenly he said, "Go and sleep".  Saying so he went back to sight seeing the dark forest from the balcony.  Although Kalindi was relieved that she doesn't need to do anything, she couldn't help but think about various reasons as to why he didn't consummate the marriage. There could be many reasons for his decision which may or may not favour her.  Thinking all this, she looked up at his back which was facing her.  Since he doesn't wear jewellery of the crown Prince at night, his upper body is bare except the simple cotton cloth hanging on his one shoulder.  Kalindi furrowed her eyebrows as she took in his form under the glowing moonlight.  She couldn't understand what was running in the mind of her heartless husband. Sighing, she removed the little amount of jewellery she wore and then climbed on the bed while leaving the other side of the bed for him.

After some time, Abhyuday came back from the balcony and laid down on the other side of the bed.  Kalindi moved in her sleep and turned towards him. Abhyuday looked at her closely for the first time and then his eyes moved towards her waist which was bare as her saree moved to one side.  His hands automatically went to her waist and traced the star symbol near navel. He murmured, "I thought it was temporary drawing made for the occasion".  He realized that it's not temporary but rather a permanent one.  The question is how did she get it as it was very risky and painful.  Even after the conclusion, he unknowingly continued to trace her waist and when he came back to his sense, he removed his hand and laid down straight.  He looked at her again only to see her sleeping and thought in his mind, "She didn't wake up even after I touched her for a long time.  What more can I expect? She is not a trained warrior to sense danger while at sleep".  What caused his frustration was the fact that she could easily fall asleep within minutes while he wouldn't be able to go into deep sleep with all the enemies around him.

The night went on with one in deep sleep and the other in a not so deep sleep, as always.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Thanks for your support till now.  Do let me know how are you liking the characters?

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.