Chapter 52

Isabella smiled weakly at Ezri. Ezri had always understood her. Sometimes, she felt as though he understood her more than herself. It was as though he knew her more than she expected but it was nice to have someone who could be there.

Isabella broke the hug and looked directly into his eyes. She wanted to express her gratitude to him but no words could come up in her mind other than: “Thank you.”

There was something that clouded over Ezri’s expression before it vanished quickly like the joyous memories Isabella had when she was a child. He smiled gently, as soft and as sweet as candy floss and fudge. It made her melt just knowing that smile was a sign that he understood her. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. She sighed heavily.

“It’s okay.” He said quietly. “You don’t have to thank me for anything. I’m always going to be here if you need me.” He said as if it were a promise and Isabella clung onto it like a naïve child who doesn’t know any better than to trust words as sweet as candy floss and fudge.

“Really?” Isabella asked, looking at him with all desperation and vulnerability that she had buried inside. Ezri looked troubled, as though he didn't know what to do with such an emotion. Maybe he also has such emotions. Maybe Isabella was a mirror for him to see his own desperation and need to see some sort of light at the darkness they live in.

He laughed but it sounded strange in her ears. It was as though he wanted to cry. Isabella was about to ask him what’s wrong but then Dmitri came with a worried expression on his face. Seeing such a thing on the man who took problematic things in stride made her nervous.

Ezri looked relieved to have someone interrupt their conversation, making Isabella’s heart tighten in a way that she could barely breathe. It was as though Ezri had suddenly placed a rope around her neck.

“Hi…” Ezri said, the relief was as clear as day as he looked at the man. “What’s wrong?” He asked as if he finally noticed the concern in the man’s face. Isabella pulled away from Ezri and stood up, ignoring the slight hurt in the boy’s expression.

“Dmitri…” She mumbled, sounding very tired. “Please tell me that face means some good news.”

He snorted, crossing his arms. “I wish it was good news.” He said, mirroring her expression. “It’s your family.”

Isabella snorted herself. “Did they message me a happy birthday again?” Isabella asked, walking towards him. “Or did they put in some effort and made me a card?” She asked sarcastically.

Dmitri laughed at that, ruffling her hair, making her grumble and playfully swat his hand away. “You’re so hilarious.” Dmitri said.

Ezri stood up and went beside Isabella. He held her hand and Isabella narrowed her eyes slightly. There was possessiveness in the way he held hers. He held her tight, as if he was telling her not to leave him behind like what she did just a few moments ago.

If Dmitri saw the action, he didn’t say anything. But he was obviously displeased by this action.  It was obvious that something dangerous flipped inside Ezri and it was coming for Isabella.

"Whatever it is, we'll get through it," Ezri said, sounding so sure of himself. So sure that there's still a 'WE' in the equation. He turned to look at the young lady. "Right?"

The question felt heavy. It was as though it was a bomb that Isabella wasn't sure if she could diffuse. She didn't like the pressure though. She didn't like the tone Ezri had on her. It felt as though he was desperate for something. Desperate to the point that he was clawing at her to be docile, to stay still.

To not fight him.

Isabella smiled at him. "Sure." Said she. She wasn't sure if she was saying it truthfully or it was because she didn't want Ezri to blow.

Ezri beamed like lights of a Christmas tree. He was pleased by her answer. Normally, she would be very happy to have Ezri look as though he had been given a year's worth of happiness but now it sent shivers down her spine.

But she didn't exactly know why.

Dmitri cleared his throat to catch their attention. They both turned to the older man and he had this look of worry that he usually doesn't have. Dmitri wasn't the kind of person who allows his worry to overflow him like a tsunami that swallows the land.

"I hope that was the case, Ms. Gem. Honestly, I'm still hoping that it's a card." Dmitri chuckled, his gaze darkening.

Isabella looked at him with a sudden anxiety spiking in her heart. "What?" She asks. "What are you saying? What do you mean?"

Dmitri shrugs. "Well..." He trailed off. Red alarms in the young lady's head suddenly went off and her anxiety was growing like a tree growing up to touch the skies. 

"Well?" Ezri asked, sounding worried as well.

"They're coming." Dmitri sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I just got the message and they're coming."

"When?" Isabella asks, trying not to panic but she was breathing heavily now. "Why?" She demanded, clenching her jaw.

"Why now?" Ezri asks, sounding annoyed and concerned. "After all these years, why now?"

Suddenly, Rafael came running towards them with a phone in hand. "Hey, there you guys are." He said, panting heavily. He was catching his breath, as if he ran for hours.

"What?" Dmitri asked, looking at Rafael. "Can't you see we're in a middle of having a starting panic attack?"

"Panic later." Rafael glared at Dmitri. "Because I have more to tell that will actually cause you a panic attack."

"Oh, please don't." Dmitri muttered.

Isabella sighed loudly. "What?"

"Your family, Isabella." Rafael said, sounding very concerned and troubled. "They're coming today."

Dmitri threw his hands up in the air. "Tell us something we don't know, will ya?"

Isabella sighed shakily. Why were they coming. Why of all years, of all days, of all hours, of all minutes. Why now? Why this day? What made them come back?

"Hey..." Ezri whispered to her, rubbing her knuckles. "Isabel?"

Rafael continued. "I just got a phone call from them." He informed.

"And?" Isabella said shakily.

"They don't sound very happy." Rafael muttered, looking worried.

"Why wouldn't they be?" Dmitri huffed, crossing his arms. "The last time I saw them, they weren't very happy. I ain't expecting them to be as happy as a Grinch stealing Christmas." He said sarcastically.

Isabella sighed. "Yeah, I'm kind of agreeing on Dmitri." She nodded towards the said man.

"No, I mean," Rafael grumbled in frustration, "I mean, they don't sound happy. They sound... Angry."

"Angry how?" Ezri asks worriedly. "The bad angry?"

"Is there a good angry?" Dmitri asks in exaspertion before turning to Rafael. "Angry as in what? Boo-hoo-I'm-Sad angry? Volcanic angry? I-could-kill-anyone angry? What?"

"I don't know!" Rafael said. "They're just angry!"

Angry?

Why?

______

I'm sorry for not updating for....
SOOOOOOO LONG.

Things was just being thrown at me and I understand that you guys probably forgot what's happening and I'm sorry ಥ⁠‿⁠ಥ

I swear, I was trying to update. I just couldn't.

But I hope you guys enjoyed it. I'm sorry for the mistakes here.

Ily jellybeans (⁠´⁠ ⁠.⁠ ⁠.̫⁠ ⁠.⁠ ⁠'⁠) please don't be mad.