Chapter 42

Nobody meant to hurt one another. Nobody decided to hastily leave one another. They were hurt and just couldn't stop and take care for others when they couldn't care for themselves.

The Torres men knew work like the back of their hands. It was engraved in their systems long before they could ever think of feelings. It was just something they're familiar with and it's something that they could control. When all hell breaks loose, it's work that they come to because it's controllable, it's comforting even. It's something that would keep their minds busy.

Emotions such as love comes second. It should be second because it leaves them all jumbled up. It's wrong. Love and work shouldn't even be mixed together because it all becomes an excuse for an argument when it becomes all too much.

Isabella had too much. They haven't been together for weeks-- her family and she, that is. Where had it all go wrong, to be honest? Why can't they stand up to her abuela? Without them, that old woman wouldn't have a heir to hand over her kingdom.

Was it Bella's words that had hurt them? Was it the guilt that ate them?

What's wrong with being wrong?

Isabella knew that abuela will never see her as someone who could be a part of the Torres family and to be honest, the young girl doesn't see that woman as one either. She sees that woman as a boss, as only the head of the family. Someone's who's not really a grandmother to her.

And that's fine.

But that doesn't mean that it's the same with her brothers and father. But is it so wrong to tell Bella for once that she's the one who's wrong? Just for once, let them defend themselves against her.

Family is strong.

A family's bond is so strong that you'd let a member hurt you so aggressively that it leaves a scar that doesn't disappear.

What even is family?

As Isabella was in the elevator with the people who's trying their best to silently support her, she's beginning to think if her family ever thought of her as some sort of mistake as well.

Is that why she was so easily abandoned when their abuela ran her mouth of about their flaws and wrongness?

Is that why she was so easily abandoned like this?

They're rarely at home nowadays. She barely gets a glimpse of them. Was it so wrong to ask why?

Why are you leaving me like this?

Why am I the wrong one in the family?

Why am I a mistake?

Why am I born not out of love? Do you think I don't hear Bella's mumblings saying that I'm born out of lust only? Born out of desperation and greed? I'm not stupid enough to not know what she meant.

Her family can't even deny it.

Not that Isabella would ever blame them. She too believes whatever her grandmother spouts. After all, shouldn't you believe what the head of the family says?

When the elevator opened, Isabella knew that it was her father's floor. She used to come here to visit him when she wanted to see him and no matter what. No matter if he was in a meeting or if he was talking to someone, he'd always make time for Isabella. He'd wait by the elevator door and then he'd greet her with a bright smile while calling her mija.

My darling.

Mi cielo.

Mi amore.