Chapter 46

4 years Later
Isabella Sofia Torres: 15 years old

"Happy birthday." Ezri said, sitting at the edge of her bed with a fond smile on his face. She noticed he was playing with her hair as he tried to insist that she wake up.

Isabella gave him a look of confusion as the light from her window blinded her momentarily. "Ez? What're you doing here so early in the morning?"

Isabella hated how Ezri could just waltz in her room uninvited but she was too soft on him to even scold him for it. Besides, he often came to shape her into a responsible person.

And a responsible person wakes up early. Isabella was usually fine with it but there were just times where she just wants to sleep in.

Ezri chuckled and leaned forward to give a friendly kiss on Isabella's cheek. "Just greeting my most favorite person a happy birthday."

Isabella would have smiled at the sweet words her friend uttered but she was too tired and sleepy to thank him.

Isabella just groaned instead, closing her eyes again. "I'm jus' fifteen." She slurred, wanting nothing more than to sleep. What's so special about a birthday? If she were years younger, she would have celebrated but now, while birthdays were a special event, the excitement sadly fades as you grow older.

"Yes, so?"

"Why do you always celebrate my birthday. It's just a normal day like any other day."

Ezri was sweet. He was willing to pull her out of bed to greet her a happy birthday, insisting, like every year, that they celebrate the special occasion. Isabella feels bad for always trying to reject the idea of celebration. They always plan fancy celebrations with men who still works for her dad.

But Isabella would rather celebrate it with the people she's closest with. Rafael, Ezri and Dmitri. She doesn't want a big celebration.

Ezri slaps her shoulder with a huff. "Oh, don't be like that, Of course I will celebrate such a thing, mi sol." He then ran his hand through the mess of her hair. "Eres mi media naranja, Isabel. You know that. So, you deserve the world. And you deserve to celebrate your birthday."

(My sun.)

(You're my better half.)

Isabella opens her eyes again to meet his. Ezri, the lovely boy who gave her nothing but the truth and the warmth of his friendship. The boy who only wants what's best for Isabella.

Sometimes, she feels guilty for comparing the poor boy with Nicolai. The boy who she had also called friend. A friend who disappeared without a trace. A friend who probably didn't want Isabella, like her family.

She's scared that maybe Ezri would be like them too. That he'll leave her because he decided that she was not worth his time. And he could leave. He could if he wanted to.

"It's just my birthday though..." She mumbled, sitting up to look at him more properly. "It's hardly anything to celebrate about."

"Don't say that, Isabel. It was the day you were born. It is important, at least for me. I am grateful that you were born. If not, I would not have met you." Ezri said, grabbing a brush at her nightstand before playing with her hair again. "Hm, do you need me to trim your split ends, Isabel?"

Isabella nodded before leaning towards him to lay her head on his shoulder. Ezri, like how he'd done in a million times, placed his arms around her. "I would probably have to. It's getting hideous." He mumbled to himself.

"You don't tell me your birthday." Isabella said, changing the subject.

"I don't like to be reminded of it." Ezri said before beginning to brush her hair gently while embracing her. It was an awkward position but it left Isabella feeling weirdly comforted. "I have bad memories of my birthdays so I would rather celebrate somebody's birthday than mine's."