Chapter 08

When Rafael came to Mrs. Tatiana Torres for a job, he didn't know that he would be a part of a little girl's life.

However, he didn't expect that trudging a life with her was so hard. There were times where he wished that he hadn't met her. The regret of it was so thick that he couldn't swallow it. Being with Isabella made his life harder and he wished that he hadn't chosen to stay.

But, there were times where he would cry for those kinds of thoughts. Guilt continuously drowned him whenever he looks at the little baby who didn't wish for him to take a path along with her. She didn't do anything and yet, Rafael sometimes blamed her for his painful path.

It was hard.

"Shut the fuck up!" Tatiana screamed at the crying baby in the crib. Rafael stood behind her, knowing that if he intervened, Isabella would be punished along with him. "You're fucking noisy. Why did I give birth to such a brat!"

It was so hard.

Isabella's eyes were boody red as she screeched, wailing due to the loud noise that her mother continued to emit. Tatiana didn't care though. She glared at Isabella like she was a burden to her.

To Rafael's eyes, Mrs. Torres definitely thought of her only daughter as a burden.

"I wish you were born a boy." Tatiana then whispered, not daring to touch the crying baby. "I wish you were boy because I would have been with my loving husband. If you were a boy then I would have been with my sons. I would have been happy if you weren't in my life. You ruined my life. You ruined mine. I hate this. Fuck."

She looked at the crying baby and laughed bitterly. There was fury in the way she laughed, her hands trembled as though she wanted to touch Isabella.

But not to comfort the crying child but to do something that Rafael was too scared to think about. He hoped that his master would leave Isabella's shitty room that she calls a nursery.

The room was dreary. The wooden floor creaked due to how old it was, there were no windows in the room and the room smelled bad. Isabella's crib was so old that Rafael would sometimes sleep in the nursery room in fear that the crib would collapse.

Then she spat, her anger coming in a full swing. "You ruined me. You ruined me!"

The woman shook the old crib, with tears falling down the woman's cheeks.

Rafael could not bear the sound of Isabella's screech of despair, how the little girl quivered at the loud noise, how the little girl sounded so tired from all of the screams that she had to receive.

Isabella didn't deserve this. She always cried. She always cowered whenever her mother would come into her room and pour all of her frustrations and anger onto her.

Rafael closed his eyes tightly, desperately trying not to intervene. If he were to intervene, Isabella would be hit and Rafael would be locked up for a week.

If he ever intervened then he won't be able to take care of Isabella. Isn't it funny? Rafael won't be able to take care of Isabella if he ever intervened but right now he's watching her get screamed at.

Rafael may be taking care of Isabella but he could never protect her.

He could never fucking protect her.

He could never protect her from what harms her, from what scares her, and it's painful because everyday because he had to take care of a baby he can't even defend. Everyday, he had to listen to this torturous cries that he can't stop. Everyday, he had to endure the dirty looks of every servants in the mansion.