Chapter 28

"Raffy!"

Rafael beamed down at her. "Bella, darling!" He exclaimed in excitement as he scooped up the little girl and hugged her tightly in his arms.

"Mmm." The little girl hummed in satisfaction, snuggling closer to him. "I've missed you!"

"I've missed you more, my little Bella. I'm so sorry for what I said. I shouldn't have said it, baby." He murmured, combing her hair with his fingers.

"S' fine." Isabella muttered back, wanting to cry. "Just don't go away 'gain."

"I won't." Rafael said, looking at her brightly. He placed her down. "I've missed you so, so much."

She looks at him in wonder. "How much?"

"Soooo much!" He dramatically said, using his arm to stretch it as much as it could possibly do to show Isabella how much he'd missed her.

"I've missed you too!" Isabella said happily, hugging him again jovially. "So, so much!"

Rafael chuckled softly. "I know." He said gently. "I know, sweetheart."

"I was looking for you." Isabella said, sounding sad and lost all of a sudden. "I wanted to talk to you..."

"I know..." Rafael couldn't say anything to comfort her because it's all true. Even if she wanted to, she wouldn't be able to find him. That was his punishment. His consequences for being mean to the little girl. "I know you wanted to..."

They hugged for a moment before Dmitri coughed, causing Rafael to roll his eyes. He looks at him with a smile but Dmitri's good more better at smiling and acting as if everything is fine.

Rafael narrowed his eyes at the doctor before his eyes fell upon Nicolai. He looks at Isabella knowingly. "Bells, who's this?" He asks teasingly.

Isabella held Nicolai's hand proudly and beamed at him. "My friend!"

"W-What!" The boy spluttered in embarrassment, cheeks red like cherry. He then calmed himself down before puffing his chest out. "Yes, I'm her friend, sir!"

Rafael chuckled sweetly before making way for them to come in. "Well, come in, Bella's friend."

Nicolai nodded sharply before marching inside like a man on a mission. Well, he is on a mission plus he's tense and nervous and he's probably regretting all of his reasons to come.

But then he turned around and looked at Rafael. "I'm Nicolai... Sir."

"Rafael." The man introduced himself, smiling kindly. "None of that sir. You're making me sound old."

"Well, you are old." Isabella muttered, walking towards her friend.

Rafael raised an amused brow. "What was that?"

She smiled at him innocently. "Nothing, sir."

Dmitri followed Isabella like a lost puppy  with a grin plastered on his face. "How about me, little miss? Am I old to you?"

"You're exceptionally old!" Nicolai insulted, looking back to glare at Dmitri. Isabella doesn't understand why Nicolai's mean to Dmitri or why he's acting as he is right now.

"Nico." Isabella chastised, crossing her arms. "Don't be mean to the doctor." She huffed in annoyance. She doesn't want anyone being mean to people that she cares about.

And, yes, Dmitri is included to people that she cares about. Even if he's annoying and that he only cares about money and doing his job properly.

"Aww, Miss Gem." The said doctor cooed softly, "you care for me? That's surprising."