2 | The Courtyard

Start from the beginning

He gave me a full smile this time, which confirmed my suspicion. 

But we couldn't communicate further, because my mother had led me through the lobby and out of his sight.

What the hell? I have been discussing the fanfiction with the author himself, even arguing about how the characters should or should not behave?

I felt mortified, and my cheeks were warm, and at the same time...I bit back a smile.

"Who was he?" Mama immediately interrogated me as we got into the taxi.

"Mama, he is Rehan Tariq! The author whose books I lose my mind over!" I burst out with excitement.

She did not seem to share my excitement. "Anabia..."

"What?" I frowned. "Why are you looking like I stole your hens and set them free?" 

"Laila's entire family, her extended family, is at that hotel. And the way you were standing and staring at that author..." She sighed. "It wasn't appropriate." 

"Staring? Mama, I was stunned! You don't expect your favourite author to casually approach you randomly! I was shocked!"

"Anabia, you are not a child. You need to carefully think about what I am saying rather than reacting instantly. People in our society are judgemental and instantly jump to conclusions." 

I looked out of the window, the bubble of excitement popping inside me. My mother was the one jumping to conclusions. I had no such thoughts or feelings. I was just excited to come across my favourite writer. That's all.

I scrolled through all the past comments of Ray_1234 and was unable to believe that all along, I had been chatting to Rehan Tariq, without even realising. Another smile appeared on my face, one that I tried not to let my mother see. 

*

Rehan

Her dark wide eyed, her long locks of dark brown hair, everything about her was permanently stamped into my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about her.

She was younger than me, it was obvious, but knowing that she is the one who wrote such extraordinary fanfiction on my work was what was really attracting me towards her.

"Hello? I'm still talking?" Faisal's exasperated voice brought me back to reality. Even through the video call I could get the strong sense that he wanted to throw a really heavy book at me. 

"I'm listening."

"You look zoned out." He pointed out.

"Get to the point, Faisal."

"I did, but you were too zoned out, bro." He shook his head. "Listen, it's very important for you to remain focused on the meeting with these publishers, okay? They are Pakistan's top publishers, and would really help you get the maximum amount of readers here, which is what your aim is." 

"I get it." A notification popped up at the top of my screen. "Faisal, I'll speak to you in a few moments." I ended the call, and clicked on the notification.

17:00

**Ana_B: My name is Anabia. I'm a huge fan of your work. I hope I didn't cause you offense in any way, through the fanfiction or through any of the discussions that we've had.**

I tried not to grin- at the risk of the driver thinking that I was insane.

17:01