Epilogue

The fighting and fussing continued for weeks after my birthday party. It finally stopped when Queen Mother Daenes proposed a lesson schedule. Though it didn't feel ideal as everyone lived so far apart, with the help of portal scrolls it could be done. Thus my weekly schedule was filled with daily lessons on how to use my omni-powers. Sunday and Monday with the Elves and plant spirits, Tuesday with Kanchi and Mer, Wednesday with the water deities, Thursday with Lucus, Friday with High Priestess Deoma, and Saturday mornings with Herongolde and afternoons with Yadte because she and Lucus couldn't get along. It's tough, but I've learned quite a lot and life has become much easier with the magical help.

My blessing was initially shocking, for myself and the family in more ways than one. Some were jealous or angry at first, but it has culled to a calm after some lecturing from Grandmother. Every blessing is unique to the individual and should be appreciated as such. Truthfully, I think all the fuss was more about the matriarch succession, for now, that I have the power of longevity, I have unexpectedly risen to the top of the candidacy above my elder cousins.

"It would be good to have a matriarch that will be a living relic holding knowledge of the Aniceta", Grandmother emphasized to the Elders, "So let us update the books and teach her"

At first, Mother was uneasy about it, but knew it was for the best. Ironically, after my 25th birthday, she calmed down quite a bit and her hold on my leash loosened significantly. Newfound freedom was bestowed upon me and I went a little wild the first few months. Adventures were had and pranks were pulled, but I wasn't alone! Shimo, Kopal, Kanchi, and even Aritra often joined in. Of course, I got disciplined by my teachers when they found out through the trees; those little tattletales.

Moreso, Mother finally got her wish! It seemed the pressure off her shoulders helped complete her heart. Though she still slaps around Sao from time to time, his 20th birthday had passed, so he began his formal informant training under Uncle Amerland, freeing up her time. When Inari arrived, Mother chose to return to the Elves as one of them! Grandpa Myavin almost exploded in happiness and teasingly stuck his tongue out at Mortimer. Even so, her choice had no effect on Lord Argus' chances at rekindling his unrequited love, but still, he's trying whilst blocking Mortimer's attempts. It's quite a sight to behold as they act like youths again. Because of this, I spent much of my free time in the Elven realm, mostly with Aritra and the increasingly less stony-faced Krindar.

"So tell me", Aritra started as he slowly escorted me to Yadte's for my lesson, "Why did you choose the Elves when you had your wish?"

"Oh", I paused, "If I say it's a secret would you leave it be?", I gave a toothy grin.

"No", he smiled softly.

I sighed knowing that would be the case, "I-I wanted to know about and get to know my family more. Mother grew up with the Elves and I never knew that, so in a sense, they are family I never knew I had nor got to know. I felt if I wanted to know more about the Aniceta and the Elves, I had to become...better. You know the trees hold stories that not even humans or elves remember and they're very selective on who they tell them to", I chuckled.

"Or... I could have pulled some strings to get the Elder tree talking", Aritra jested.

"Lord Aritra! You dare suggest bribing the sacred tree!", Krindar protested.

"Maybe", Aritra looked away coyly.

I burst into laughter as we stopped in front of the gate to Yadte's cabin. Regaining my composure, I bid them farewell.

"No need to wait. Today's lesson is on potions, so it'll take a while"

They bowed and watched me enter before turning to leave. Yadte was in her usual apron setting up jars of unexplainable things around a heated pot.

"Today is a lesson on transformation potions, so you can't use that plant sight of yours for help like last time. You have to use your brain for this one", she lectured.

I groaned as I tossed on a spare apron and glanced at the potions book beside the pot. Pieces of body parts of creatures I had never seen in my life were drawn on the pages. Cringing at the sliminess of the jars, I began to drop the ingredients into the pot. It took four hours to get it right! Yadte took out a mouse to test it on.

"Myavin said we shouldn't-"

"Shush with your tree-hugging lectures, Jylan. This little pest ate some of my precious ingredients. This is a fitting punishment for it", she hissed as she poured the potion on it and began the spell incantation.

The mouse began to grow and morph until it stood up as a man. It checked its naked body as a silver neck cuff flew over and wrapped around its neck, placing him under Yadte's control.

"What have you done to me you-you witch!", he yelled.

"This is for eating my rare jelly berries, mouse boy!", Yadte growled, "Now take this and get to work, you're going to work until my berries grow again!"

I stood there awkwardly as she turned to smile at me.

"Did you get that?"

"Uh, um... yeah"

"Good. Now off you go. The sun is setting. Practice at home and don't tell that Elf of yours about this", she winked.

I scampered out the door absolutely frightened. Yadte is a good witch, right? I didn't want to test it, so I kept running until I saw Aritra and Krindar. They had waited all this time! I laughed as I jumped up to put my arms around their shoulders, forcing them to carry me between them as we walked to the horses at the edge of the forest. As we walked, I suddenly felt a strong presence appear in the direction of Yadte's house, but felt no danger, so I shrugged it off and kept walking.

"My, what do I owe the pleasure", Yadte said, sensing the presence behind her.

"You know why I'm here, Yadte", a soft voice said.

"Of course, Head Chief Dennis", she cooed at the beautiful young man with striking red hair and green eyes.

"...how-?"

"She's safe. Why don't you go see for yourself?", she answered without letting him finish.

"You know if-"

"You're still afraid that her soul will awaken if she sees you?"

"..."

"Don't worry, we all are here to keep things in check. Even if she did, it wouldn't raise any red flags in this dimension."

He sighed.

"She has regained some of her former powers thanks to that fox, though she's still untrained.", Yadte added, "But that is also slowly being solved."

The man named Dennis nodded in satisfaction as he looked over the dirtied tools Jylan had just used, stroking them with a gentle, caring touch.

Tears began to well in his eyes, "I hope... we can protect her this time..."