1. The Shapeshifter

Outside the edge of town, deep in the western woods, is a small cottage

From the beginning of time, my great grandmother's grandmothers and mothers have been tasked with visiting "him" every so often to drop off gifts and food. It's not like we're contracted to do so, but mother, as usual, always refuses to tell me why we do. It doesn't seem like he entirely finds it pleasing either. He is always in a bad mood when I knock on the door. Still, mother insists I put on a happy face and give him some bread and fruit.

"Mr. Shapeshifter! I've come to give you some bread...", I yelled at the wooden door, but no one answered.

"Mr. Shapeshifter! My mother told me to bring you this and that I can't go back unless I give it to you!"

An unshaven man of over 200 centimeters, angrily opened the door at the words of my last sentence. Though he seems mean, he doesn't like the thought of me being in these woods past dusk.

"How many times have I told you not to come here?", he growled, "And my name is Herongolde!"

"I know, but pulling your tail is fun! Anyways, I just carry on the family tradition of feeding the grumpy caveman outside of town", I laughed as I pushed into the cottage.

"You, how old are you now?", he frowned.

"23, why do you ask?", I glanced at him curiously as I placed the basket on the table.

"Shouldn't you be getting married by now? And not doing this?"

"Haha, oh goodness no!"

"Why is that?"

"None of the women in my family marry or stay married, I thought you knew this. Are you getting old?"

"Indeed. I knew your great, great, great, great great-grandmother, Isabella. So perhaps my head is not as clear as it used to be...", he pondered.

"Didn't she get turned into a vampire?"

"No, she ate a hallucinogenic mushroom by accident and bit a cow. Went back to normal after, but could never live down the shame and gossip of being a vampire", he smirked.

I stifled a laugh and asked, "Tell me, what do you know of human men?"

"Some are good, but there's also a lot of bad. They slightly change each century that goes by, but I personally stay away. Tis for the best of course", he thought it over.

"My own father promised my mother to take care of us, but, instead, moved to the next town, got married, then he said it was my mother's fault for being so strong-headed. So, I think I'm good without that. Besides, I have my duties to take care of you."

He grunted at the implication.

"Say, why is it that my family has always taken care of you? Mother and grandmother never tell me straight. Always some philosophical idiom."

"Then it's for the best", he replied, not relenting any secrets.

I scowled at him for being so tightlipped. He cleared his throat awkwardly and took out a pipe.

"You should get going before the night hour falls upon us", he insisted.

As he stood, he picked up a small seedling with its roots wrapped in wet twine and a pouch.

"Your payment", he grunted, pushing it into my hands and egging me to the door.

"P-Payment!? This is a first!", I said looking up at him confused.

"Don't think about it and go home", he growled.

I rushed home excitedly and crashed into the kitchen with a thud.

"Mother! Look! Payment from the Shapeshifter!", I beamed as I placed the items on the table.

"Ah", she said, as she picked up the pouch and opened it, revealing several large precious gems and metals. "So, it's about that time, is it..."

She looked me up and down, then placed the pouch in my hand, "These were meant for you"

I looked at her confused, "What does this mean?"

"The Shapeshifter pays about every 20 years", she said.

"Well, why is that?"

"What happens in a girl's life in 20 years?"

I shrugged, unsure of what I missed when I turned 20.

"It is the time she has come of age and is eligible to get married, but... I've told him many times that it's unnecessary as we rarely hold weddings or just have small ones. Still, he persists. No matter how he looks, he's quite the sentimental old man", she smiled softly.

"So, this is my dowry to pay for my wedding?", I looked at it disgusted.

"If you want to think about it that way, then yes..."

"And what about this?", I gave her the seedling.

Her eyes grew wide, "a rare Red King flower bud. These haven't been seen in centuries. Where did he get this, I wonder?"

She quickly went to work potting it, carefully untying its roots and placing it in fresh soil.

"Let's see who we'll meet in a few days", she said as she placed it on the windowsill. She looked at me with a strange smile.

"huh?"

I returned her gaze with a confused look.

"Oh!", I jumped up in realization, "Oh! Oh!", I became more excited as I ran over to gaze at the sleeping flower.

"I can't wait!"