19. The Berserker

This... Thing, this beast... Is a monster! Ever since it hatched, it has been the source of destruction of anything that was not nailed down, running laps around my room at horse speed. It even bit me as soon as it broke out of its egg! Luckily, I've been able to contain it to my room and hide it from Mother.

"Mama, are you sad?", it asked.

Oh yeah, it can talk to me... telepathically. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it is a bit annoying given that it talks non-stop as soon as it wakes up. I've searched all the books to figure out what kind of beast it is, but none of the drawings look anything like it. A black, scaly cat-like beast with gold eyes and the power of telepathy. I was at a dead end. Well, at least it's cute.

"I'm cute!? Mama said I'm cute!", It shouted in my head, zooming around my room.

"Ugh", I groaned as a cup crashed to the ground, "Stop! Sit!"

It nervously froze and sat with its head down. After cleaning up the cup, I finally relented; I have to ask Mother if she knows what kind of beast this is. I can't train something that I don't understand.

"Mama! You're going to see grandma? Can I come?", It beamed.

"No, stay here until I get back", I commanded.

It pouted and turned to curl up in my bed. Shaking my head, I headed to Mother's room. With a small knock on the door, I entered only to find her suiting up in full armor. She looked fierce and elegant. Without turning to me, she spoke just as she secured her daggers at her waist.

"Haven't I taught you to wait after you knock, Jylan?"

I stared in awe. Rarely do I get to see Mother this way, but I quickly returned to my senses.

"Mother, are you going on a mission?"

She paused momentarily, "Yes..."

"Oh, where to? Should I go get ready also?"

"No. This is none of your concern", she disregarded.

"Mother?"

Something felt off.

"You're not ready, so just guard the house!"

"Not ready for what?"

"There's a berserker causing havoc at the base of the Sun Mountain in the East. I have a request to go deal with it", she relented with a sigh.

Berserkers are occults gone mad. They can be especially dangerous as they've lost all sense of self and consciousness, lashing out at anything and everything in their path. It's rare for a caretaker to receive an elimination request, for such things are left to the hunters under the Magic Council's jurisdiction. Unfortunately, if the situation is deemed "sensitive", caretakers are called in as buffers.

"If it's such a mission, shouldn't I also go?"

"No. You know there must be someone close by, tending the main house's branch", she turned to look at me with a grimace.

Dangerous missions are supposed to be handled as a team, but Berserkers are where Mother draws the line. She never told me why, and pestering her further just gets me more chores, so I leave it alone. I sighed as she walked past me.

"Mama! Is grandma leaving?", the beast shouted in my head.

"Yes", I sighed.

"Somewhere dangerous? You said berserkers are dangerous!"

I squeezed my eyes shut. I no longer had any privacy in my own head!

"Haha, mommy you're funny", it laughed at my distress, "Should I go help grandma?"