8. The Tree Spirits: Part 3

Rushing back to the room, I slipped through the door, only to find that Mother still hadn't returned

Rushing back to the room, I slipped through the door, only to find that Mother still hadn't returned. I shrugged, took off my cloak, and curled up to sleep.

"Let's forget all of that", I thought.

Unfortunately, I soon woke up to a loud bang and heavy breathing.

"Jylan!", Mother shook me awake.

It was still dark with a hint of sun light.

"We have to depart immediately!"

As my eyes adjusted, I could see a paper in her hand, stained with blood.

The hawk had returned just moments before with a bloodied letter requesting Mother's immediate return to the kingdom to stand before the King. Our horses were ready, awaiting us at the palace gate. Brisk hugs were given as we mounted to set off.

"If you need anything, anything at all", the King said.

Mother nodded and raced off at full speed. I kept my eyes forward and followed.

We reached just as the townspeople were shaking off their early morning tiredness.

"Go home, Jylan", Mother commanded.

"But-!"

"No buts. Be ready for anything and protect the house"

"Yes, Mother", I said turning Lilith to the direction of the house.

As I entered the courtyard, a dirty pile of cloth laid against the door. As I approached, I realized it was just Sao.

"What are you doing?"

"The pain... The torture... So much... cow shit..."

"Ah, Herongolde put you to work", I laughed, "Why don't you go in?"

"Cow...ate my key-", he began to cry.

I sighed in annoyance and kicked him to the side to unlock the door. Quickly, I unpacked my things from Lilith and began to prepare the house for the worse possible onslaught. When I removed my clothing from the bag, something fell out.

"Persistent bastard", I growled as I picked up the object- the meadow pass.

"By the way, where's momma?", Sao asked leaning against the doorframe, eating leftover rations from the trip.

"To see the king", my lips twitched nervously at the thought.

⎓✥⎓

"Gaea Aniceta!"

As soon as Mother entered the throne room, the King yelled, and pointed his sword at her throat. Beaten, Uncle Amerland laid on the floor at the foot of the throne amongst his occult record books.

"You dare harbor secrets from your king!?"

"I merely kept my oath"

"To Whom!?"