10. The Church

Sensing the trouble was over, the tree spirits began to pop out and help also

Sensing the trouble was over, the tree spirits began to pop out and help also. As the house was quickly restored, the garden on the other hand needed more tender care. Whole branches of the fruiting trees were broken off and many plants' pots were destroyed. I repotted them and grafted the branches that I could with the help of the spirits. In the greenhouse, things were much direr. The red king flower was severely damaged, the spirit lay next to his pot breathing heavily.

"Oh, no. It's okay, it's okay! I'll get you a new pot, hold on!"

I raced to grab a pot as an elder willow brought new soil. I gently picked it up only to find that the stem had been bent! I found a garden stake to act as a splint until it heals, but the spirit continued to wilt. I racked my brain for a solution and remembered the growth stone.

"Stay with him!", I told the willow as I ran to my room to grab the stone.

I ripped off the concealment, retrieved it, and ran back.

"I hope this works", I pleaded as I placed the stone on the stem.

The plant began to perk up and look healthy again, then suddenly another bud shot out of the stem where it had broken. I quickly took the stone away.

"Oops", I said looking at the spirit as he stood up from the floor, "Seems you're going to be a dad", I laughed nervously.

He looked at the stone in my hand then back at the baby flower bud. His body began to shrink until he was the size of a pixie.

"I should conserve energy from now on then", he said quietly, mesmerized by the baby bud.

"Will you be alright?", I asked him.

"Yes", he said weakly, "I feel better now, thank you"

"Jylan, is everything alright?", Mother and Myavin entered the greenhouse.

"Uh, yeah just fixing some plants that got injured", I assured.

"Don't tell me the Red King also got broken", Mother rushed over to look.

"It was, but I fixed it, so he's better now"

"Yes...better than better now", the flower repeated.

Mother sighed in relief. Myavin came and looked the plant over.

"Last I heard, these were extinct"

"Herongolde seemed to have found one, but I distantly remember there being one bud, not two", Mother replied.

Myavin looked at me, "I think I know the answer to that mystery. What's in your pocket, Jiji?"

I let out an unconvincing chuckle as I tried to take my leave, but he was one step ahead of me.

"Jiji"

"Jylan Aniceta, what do you have?", Mother inquired.

I sighed and pulled out the stone.